Do you need a US work visa?

Some people think that if you are a Canadian citizen you can just pack up and move to the United States if you have a job offer. However, that is not the case at all. Even Canadian citizens, like all foreign nationals, require a United States work visa in order to legally work in the United StatesUS Work Visa

There is not just one United States work visa. Rather, there are several different types and you need to know the visa that is most appropriate to your situation before you apply, or you can run into problems.

Choosing the best United States work visa for you

Choosing a United States work visa is difficult, especially because each one has so many different eligibility requirements.

One type of visa that is only for Canadian citizens (or citizens of Mexico) is the TN visa, which is for professional occupations that generally require higher education. Individuals must have a job offer to apply for this visa, as the employer must submit a petition on your behalf.

Another work visa is the H1B visa, which is extremely popular even though only a certain amount of them are given out each year. These are for specialty occupations.

Other United States work visas include ones like the L-visas, specifically the L-1 visa, which is for applicants whose foreign employer is transferring them to a branch or office in the United States.

E-visas are also available for traders and investors who wish to invest in the United States.

Our immigration law firm has been in business serving Canada and the United States for over 15 years. During that time, we’ve helped countless people obtain work visas for the United States with great success. If you want to work in the United States or you have a job offer for the United States, please call our immigration law firm. We would love to help you!

Michael Niren

About Michael Niren

Michael is a graduate of Osgoode Hall Law School in Toronto. He is a member of the Law Society of Upper Canada, the Canadian Bar Association’s Citizenship and Immigration Section and the Associate Member of the American Bar Association. Read more

The content and comments of this blog are not legal advise and and may not be accurate or complete. If you require legal advice, contact a licensed legal practitioner directly. If you post on this blog, you assume full responsibility for disclosing your identity to the public and VisaPlace nor its affiliates are not responsible for protecting your privacy nor your identity concerning your participation in our blog and you assume any risks in participating.