Can I Work in the US as a Canadian Citizen?

Work in the US as a Canadian Citizen

Canadian citizens are allowed to work in the United States, just like any other foreign national. However, before they can legally work in the United States or take a job, they are required to obtain a United States work visa. Almost everyone who wants to work in the United States needs to apply for a work visa, but Canadians do have several advantages that other foreign nationals don’t.

There is no one work visa for Canadian citizens, in fact there are several different types. In addition, there are visas that are specifically for Canadian citizens, such as the TN Visa.

However, the United States work visa you eventually choose does not have as much to do with your country of citizenship as it does with your personal situation and work experience.

Which United States Work Visa Should I Apply For?

Speaking with a licensed immigration lawyer is the best way to determine which type of United States work visa you should apply for. For example, Canadian citizens who work in a certain type of professional occupation and who have a valid job offer with a United States employer could apply for a TN visa, which is only for Canadian citizens or citizens of Mexico under the North American Free Trade Agreement.

TN Visas

If you are Canadian and you have a job offer in the US, you may be eligible for a TN Visa under the NAFTA agreement. This application process is the fastest way to get a US Work Visa. Learn more about how to get a TN visa. 

L-1 Visas

On the other hand, Canadian workers who are employed by Canadian companies but who are being transferred to United States offices could be best suited for an L-1 visa. Learn more about how to get a L-1 visa. 

Other US Work Visas

There are visas for people who work in different specialty occupations or who have different skills, while there are also visas available for people buying businesses in the United States or investing in the United States.

Each of these visas has their own specific requirements for applicants. It is vital that you understand which of these visas is the one for you, and which one suits your needs. In addition, it is important that you meet the requirements that the visa has. Get it right the first time! Call our immigration law firm for help.

Do You Want To Work in the US?

If so, Contact VisaPlace today. All our cases are handled by competent and experienced immigration professionals who are affiliated with VisaPlace. These professionals consist of lawyers, licensed paralegals and consultants who work for Niren and Associates an award winning immigration firm that adheres to the highest standards of client service.

Ready for the next step? Book your 1 on 1 consultation now or call us at 1-888-317-5770.

Have a Question related to your Immigration Needs?

Click here to fill out the FREE Immigration Assessment form below and get a response within 24 hours to see if you’re eligible.

The assessment form should take approximately 5-7 minutes to complete. We will get back to you within one business day to let you know if we are able to help.


Michael Niren

About Michael Niren

Michael is a graduate of Osgoode Hall Law School in Toronto. He is a member of the Law Society of Upper Canada, the Canadian Bar Association’s Citizenship and Immigration Section and the Associate Member of the American Bar Association. Read more

The content and comments of this blog are not legal advise and and may not be accurate or complete. If you require legal advice, contact a licensed legal practitioner directly. If you post on this blog, you assume full responsibility for disclosing your identity to the public and VisaPlace nor its affiliates are not responsible for protecting your privacy nor your identity concerning your participation in our blog and you assume any risks in participating.

Customer Reviews

Here’s my good advice; Lawyer up. ...and if your looking for a group of lawyers to help with your international affairs regarding visas and work permits; these professionals are top notch. I’ve had a great experience, they got the job done, and my job was very complicated. Rania Abboud, high five to you especially, you set up a great plan for success, replied to my questions very quickly, kept me informed and your very knowledgeable in your field. To everyone else at VisaPlace; Thank you as well. As a business owner myself I immediately recognized the way your team works so effectively! I wish you all the best of success. J.

Jason Mayerin the last week

The team at the Visa place as very thorough in the preparation of my application which I am sure made a difference. They guided the process well to a successful outcome. Would recommend them for sure.

Brad Davies2 weeks ago

I hired them for my study permit application! I had been denied twice and thanks to them the 3rd try was a success. Lisa Inspektor was my main contact. She is Very nice and polite. I strongly recommend you to go with them! The money you’re gonna spend is gonna be worth it

landry walker3 weeks ago