What kind of visa do I need to work in the United States?

Did you know that if you are a Canadian citizen or another foreign national, you need a visa to work legally in the United StatesWork visa for the United States

The type of visa required is a work visa. Many Canadians apply for United States work visas every single year, and many of those Canadians end up working in great jobs across the US. Any foreign national can apply for a United States work visa, not just Canadian citizens. However, there are special United States work visas that are available exclusively to Canadians, and some United States work visas are quicker for Canadians to obtain.

Which type of United States work visa is right for me?

There are many different types of United States visas, for all different kinds of situations. For example, there are visas specifically for people whose employers are transferring them from a Canadian office to a United States office, visas available for people who are looking to invest in or buy a business in the United States, visas available for Canadians who have a high level of education, and visas for people who have special skills.

In almost all cases you will require a job offer from a qualifying United States employer before you can work in the United States, and it will be a vital component of your work visa.

One of the most important things when applying for a United States work visa is that you apply properly the first time. This means applying for the right visa and in the right way, with a flawless application. If you apply incorrectly or for a visa you are ineligible for, you will be denied and this can negatively affect subsequent applications.

Apply for a United States work visa! Contact our immigration law firm today.

Michael Niren

About Michael Niren

Michael is a graduate of Osgoode Hall Law School in Toronto. He is a member of the Law Society of Upper Canada, the Canadian Bar Association’s Citizenship and Immigration Section and the Associate Member of the American Bar Association. Read more

  • Immigration lawyers in USA


The content and comments of this blog are not legal advise and and may not be accurate or complete. If you require legal advice, contact a licensed legal practitioner directly. If you post on this blog, you assume full responsibility for disclosing your identity to the public and VisaPlace nor its affiliates are not responsible for protecting your privacy nor your identity concerning your participation in our blog and you assume any risks in participating.

Customer Reviews

Spectacular experience. Completely smooth process, they were able to answer any of my questions any time and I had peace of mind throughout the application time, which was invaluable. I have recommended them to other friends looking for assistance with their applications, and will continue to do so. Worth every penny.

Faith Cheongin the last week

Here, I would like to say thank you so very much for your kind support on extension my visit visa. I am touched and beyond words, I am grateful and thankful for your always help and cooperation. Have a wonderful day.

Setareh Rasaeiin the last week

Great law firm with great staff. My lawyer Rania did a great job for my Canadian work permit and my daughters study permit. You are great in your work. And my Para Legal officer Alicea, you are just amazing. They did not rest until my job was promptly and properly done. Always there to answer my calls, reply my emails promptly. She tried her best and the results were amazing. I recommend visa place if you need the best immigration job. Many thanks to Rania and Alicea.

Charity Musa2 months ago