Working in the United States as a Canadian

It is necessary for any foreign national, including Canadian citizens, to obtain a work visa before they can legally work in the United States for a United States employer. A work visa application is not an easy one, and there are strict requirements that must be met in order for an individual to be accepted. Work in the United States as a Canadian citizen
Someone who is a doctor or a dentist (or has another type of job where a very high level of education is required) and who has an existing job offer in the US may qualify for a TN visa, for example. There are also many visas similar to this one for people who have job offers in the US in specific occupations.

Another type of visa, the L-1 work visa, is for Canadians who are being transferred to the United States by their Canadian employer.

Someone could also obtain a United States work visa by investing in the US, using the E-2 work visa.

Which United States work visa is right for me?

It might seem like there is a United States work visa for every situation, but that’s not the case. However, there are many different kinds of United States work visas and one of them might be perfect for you. Some visas are even specially tailored to Canadian citizens, like the TN Visa, which can be applied for at the border instead of applied for by mail – eliminating long wait times. In most cases you will need to have a job offer in the United States, and that job may need to be in a specific type of occupation.

One factor that makes how you go about applying for a United States work visa so important is that if your work visa application is denied, this will be recorded in the United States immigration database and make it difficult to apply in the future. To make sure you do it right the first time, have a licensed immigration lawyer assess your case, help you find the United States work visa for you and help you with your application.

Michael Niren

About Michael Niren

Michael is a graduate of Osgoode Hall Law School in Toronto. He is a member of the Law Society of Upper Canada, the Canadian Bar Association’s Citizenship and Immigration Section and the Associate Member of the American Bar Association. Read more

The content and comments of this blog are not legal advise and and may not be accurate or complete. If you require legal advice, contact a licensed legal practitioner directly. If you post on this blog, you assume full responsibility for disclosing your identity to the public and VisaPlace nor its affiliates are not responsible for protecting your privacy nor your identity concerning your participation in our blog and you assume any risks in participating.

Customer Reviews

Great law firm with great staff. My lawyer Rania did a great job for my Canadian work permit and my daughters study permit. You are great in your work. And my Para Legal officer Alicea, you are just amazing. They did not rest until my job was promptly and properly done. Always there to answer my calls, reply my emails promptly. She tried her best and the results were amazing. I recommend visa place if you need the best immigration job. Many thanks to Rania and Alicea.

Charity Musaa month ago

Great firm on top of their game. Worked with us til the end to ensure my parents visa was approved and guided us along the way in a professional manor. Natalie is awesome. Majority of our communications were via email, but the responses were immediate. I would greatly recommend this firm. Thank you for all your hard work and help. My family and I do really appreciate it.

Daxesh Patel2 months ago

I am grateful for the legal services that I got from Sanaa and Alicea of Visa Place. I was impressed by their client centered approach. Their professionalism involved their hearts and heads to work on my case. I cannot compare the time they spent on it with the money I paid. All they wanted was a fine final document. I also liked their prompt communication. They are really passionate about what they do.

Theresie Nuwimanaa month ago