Working in The United States As A Canadian Citizen

Despite the United States’ and Canada’s close relationship, citizens of both countries still require a work permit or work visa to obtain work in the other country, as so almost all other foreign nationals. While there are a few exceptions, if you are a Canadian citizen who has a job offer in the United States you will likely need to begin considering which of the many United States work visa options are suitable for your employment situation. Work in the United States as a Canadian

What kinds of United States work visas are there?

There are several different types of work visas available depending on your education, your type of job offer and more.

For example, there is the TN Visa, which is an extremely popular option among Canadian citizens. While only Canadian citizens (or citizens of Mexico, but not Canadian permanent residents) are eligible to apply for the TN visa, it remains a great choice because it can be applied for at the US-Canada border or at any other United States port of entry such as an airport. This means there are no long visa processing times, and the applicant will know whether they are approved or denied right away. However, TN visas are only for professional occupations that tend to have a higher level of education required, such as doctors and lawyers.

For highly-skilled workers in specialty occupations (normally requiring a bachelor’s degree or higher), there is the availability of the H-1B work visa. However, there is also the H-2B work visa for skilled and un-skilled occupations that are non-agricultural in nature.

These are not the only types of United States work visas available. For example, there is the L-1 Work Visa, for Canadians who are being transferred to United States branches or offices. There are also investor visas like the E2 work visa.

Whichever United States work visa you apply for, there are strict requirements for each type. Not everyone is qualified for every type of work visa, and you must be able to meet the particular requirements exactly while also preparing your application properly to meet the expectations of a visa officer. Contact our immigration law firm for assistance with your application to ensure you have the best results possible.

Michael Niren

About Michael Niren

Michael is a graduate of Osgoode Hall Law School in Toronto. He is a member of the Law Society of Upper Canada, the Canadian Bar Association’s Citizenship and Immigration Section and the Associate Member of the American Bar Association. Read more

The content and comments of this blog are not legal advise and and may not be accurate or complete. If you require legal advice, contact a licensed legal practitioner directly. If you post on this blog, you assume full responsibility for disclosing your identity to the public and VisaPlace nor its affiliates are not responsible for protecting your privacy nor your identity concerning your participation in our blog and you assume any risks in participating.

Customer Reviews

Visa place is the best!!! I use Yasmeen to do paperwork work for my mom to come to Canada and she was amazing. Very helpful and always reply to your email promptly. My experience was awesome everything was a success and I will recommend VISA PLACE to anyone who want quick and successful results. Thank to all the team at Visa Place but a special thank you to Yasmeen again.

Donnica Waugh2 weeks ago

Working with the team as VisaPlace and their trusted partners was an incredibly wonderful experience! The team is extremely knowledgeable, responsive and has the partnerships to get the job done in an efficient and timely manner. Will definitely call them again should I have more visa requirements, issues or questions!!

P Eyre2 weeks ago

Spectacular experience. Completely smooth process, they were able to answer any of my questions any time and I had peace of mind throughout the application time, which was invaluable. I have recommended them to other friends looking for assistance with their applications, and will continue to do so. Worth every penny.

Faith Cheong4 weeks ago