Working in the United States as a Canadian

Are you a Canadian who wants to work in the United States? For someone who is not an American Citizen to work in the United States – even if you are a Canadian citizen – you will require a United States work visa. Work in the United States

The work visa is a special document that allows you to legally work in the United States on a temporary basis as per the conditions of the work visa itself.

There are many different types of United States work visas, each of them with a different purpose. Which one of these work visas is right for you depends on a number of different factors, but as a Canadian citizen it may be faster for you to obtain a United States work visa than other foreign nationals.

Which United States work visa is right for me?

Deciding which United States work visa is the best one for you depends on many different factors. For example, you may need to have a job offer already in the United States, and that job may have to be a certain type of job.

In most cases you will need to demonstrate that you have the right type of work experience for the job in question, as well as the appropriate levels of education.

A Canadian citizen with a job offer in the United States as a doctor may be eligible to apply for the TN Visa, while a Canadian who has a job offer in the United States in a different type of career that still requires a high level of education could consider applying for the H1B work visa.

Someone who is already working for a Canadian company but is being transferred to a United States office, branch or subsidiary of that foreign company could be eligible for the L-1 work visa, while someone who has a job offer for seasonal or temporary employment could be eligible for an H2B work visa.

Michael Niren

About Michael Niren

Michael is a graduate of Osgoode Hall Law School in Toronto. He is a member of the Law Society of Upper Canada, the Canadian Bar Association’s Citizenship and Immigration Section and the Associate Member of the American Bar Association. Read more

The content and comments of this blog are not legal advise and and may not be accurate or complete. If you require legal advice, contact a licensed legal practitioner directly. If you post on this blog, you assume full responsibility for disclosing your identity to the public and VisaPlace nor its affiliates are not responsible for protecting your privacy nor your identity concerning your participation in our blog and you assume any risks in participating.

Customer Reviews

I had an amazing experience with this immigration firm! They helped me to obtain B2 Tourist Visa to U.S. I went for legal support as in the past I was denied of entry due to working without proper authorization. The process itself was smooth, stuff was very helpful along the way. Special thanks to Renee Thompson who handle it and explained and guided through the process and helped to prepare for the interview. Would definitely recommend to anyone !!

A Min the last week

Personally, I went through a lot with my immigration papers. But Karina and Lauren were very helpful and responsive to all our questions and concerns. Thank you once again on doing a great job. I would highly recommend Karina and Lauren and her firm.

Mohamad El-hajjin the last week

I hired Visa Place for my US E2 visa application. The team at Visa place understood my business very well and prepare my case accordingly. Fadi and Natalie are very knowledgeable, my main contact was Natalie, she answered all my questions and concerns in detail and in timely manner, mostly within few hours. Thanks Visa Place team for your help and support during the process that produce successful result. See you again in 5 years for visa renewal application.

Webplex Incin the last week