How to Obtain a US Work Visa

How to Obtain a US Work Visa

The North American Free Trade Agreement (NAFTA) has effectively paved the way for Canadians to work in the United States. For Canadians, small businesses and large corporations to work or operate in the states, they need to obtain a US Work Visa.

Most Canadians (or Mexicans) will be eligible to apply for a TN Work Visa.

What is a TN Work Visa?

A TN Work visa is a type of US Work Visa for Canadians and Mexicans that is valid for three years.

How to Obtain a TN Visa

1. You must first have a US job offer under the NAFTA list of jobs. This list is available here.

2. Gather all of the supporting documentation you will need to obtain a TN Visa. This supporting documentation can include resumes, education history and information about the job offer or more.

3. Have your TN documentation reviewed by an immigration professional. While TN Visas can be applied for at the US Border or port of entry, that does not mean they are easy to get. You could be turned away if you’ve made a mistake or have forgotten a piece of supporting documentation.

For more information on TN Work Visas, click here.

Other Visa Types

Depending on the situation, different types of US Work Visas may better apply to you. For example, if you intend to invest in the US with your work, you can apply for an E2 Work Visa. If you have an existing business in Canada and want to expand to the US or open a US office, an L-1 Work Visa is better for you. These types of visas are also available for other foreign nationals who are not Canadian or Mexican.

In addition, there are a number of other categories that Canadians and other foreign nationals can apply for a US Work Visa under, including H-1B Specialty Occupations, H-2B Non-Agricultural Workers, E-1 Treaty Traders, E-2 Treaty Investors and J-1 Visa for Education and Cultural Exchange.

For more information on obtaining US Work Visas, click here.

Michael Niren

About Michael Niren

Michael is a graduate of Osgoode Hall Law School in Toronto. He is a member of the Law Society of Upper Canada, the Canadian Bar Association’s Citizenship and Immigration Section and the Associate Member of the American Bar Association. Read more

The content and comments of this blog are not legal advise and and may not be accurate or complete. If you require legal advice, contact a licensed legal practitioner directly. If you post on this blog, you assume full responsibility for disclosing your identity to the public and VisaPlace nor its affiliates are not responsible for protecting your privacy nor your identity concerning your participation in our blog and you assume any risks in participating.