Retiring in the United States

A common question we receive is how can a Canadian retire in the United States? They’re looking for some place with a bit of a warmer climate, and may be looking to stay there permanently or only over the winter. Retire in the United States

Unfortunately, there is no retirement visa for the United States despite how popular it would be.

As it stands, Canadians are able to visit the United States for six months per year, which makes living in the United States over the winter months possible. Canadians can also break this six months up into smaller chunks if they like. In addition, you cannot be outside of your home province for more than six months or you risk losing your provincial health coverage.

To live in the United States for longer, you will need to become a permanent resident of the United States.

United States permanent residence options for Canadian retirees

A visa is necessary for those Canadian citizens who want to live in the United States for good. Investor visas, such as E visas, can be excellent options for Canadian retirees who have the ability to invest in a United States business, which will provide them with a visa typically good for five years – and one that can be renewed. Those with high net worths could consider the E-B5 visa, another type of investor visa, which leads to permanent residency.

Otherwise, Canadians may have to look into obtaining permanent residence in the United States via the more traditional means such as work visas before you retire and eventual employer petitions, being transferred by your employer to the United States, spousal sponsorship or family sponsorship.

Do you want to immigrate to the United States or retire in the United States? Whether you want to do it permanently or just over the winter, speak with a licensed immigration lawyer and other service professionals, such as accountants and tax professionals, who can assist you in making the important decisions.

Michael Niren

About Michael Niren

Michael is a graduate of Osgoode Hall Law School in Toronto. He is a member of the Law Society of Upper Canada, the Canadian Bar Association’s Citizenship and Immigration Section and the Associate Member of the American Bar Association. Read more

The content and comments of this blog are not legal advise and and may not be accurate or complete. If you require legal advice, contact a licensed legal practitioner directly. If you post on this blog, you assume full responsibility for disclosing your identity to the public and VisaPlace nor its affiliates are not responsible for protecting your privacy nor your identity concerning your participation in our blog and you assume any risks in participating.

Customer Reviews

Visa place is the best!!! I use Yasmeen to do paperwork work for my mom to come to Canada and she was amazing. Very helpful and always reply to your email promptly. My experience was awesome everything was a success and I will recommend VISA PLACE to anyone who want quick and successful results. Thank to all the team at Visa Place but a special thank you to Yasmeen again.

Donnica Waugh2 weeks ago

Working with the team as VisaPlace and their trusted partners was an incredibly wonderful experience! The team is extremely knowledgeable, responsive and has the partnerships to get the job done in an efficient and timely manner. Will definitely call them again should I have more visa requirements, issues or questions!!

P Eyre2 weeks ago

Spectacular experience. Completely smooth process, they were able to answer any of my questions any time and I had peace of mind throughout the application time, which was invaluable. I have recommended them to other friends looking for assistance with their applications, and will continue to do so. Worth every penny.

Faith Cheong4 weeks ago