Do Canadian Permanent Residents Need a visa to visit the United States?

If you are a Canadian citizen who wants to visit the United States, you do not need to apply for a visa to visit Canada because of your Canadian citizenship. This is because being able to access the United States is determined by your citizenship, not whatever country you hold permanent resident status in. USA visitor visa

As such, people who live in Canada as legal permanent residents are not Canadian citizens and do not hold a Canadian passport. Instead, they have to determine whether or not the country they hold citizenship with requires visas to enter the United States.

Not all countries’ citizens require visas to enter the United States, and Canada is one example. However, there is a long list of countries whose citizens do require a visa to enter the united States.

Visiting the United States as a Canadian permanent resident

If you are looking to visit the United States, you will need a visitor visa. There are two types of visitor visas to the United States: The B1 visa and the B2 visa.

The B1 visitor visa is a visa for people who need to enter the United States for business purposes – for example, someone who is attending a business meeting in the United States. It should not be confused with a United States work visa.

The B2 visitor visa is a tourist visitor visa for permanent residents who want to go to the United States as tourists or for recreational visits.

Applicants will need a number of supporting documents in order to apply for a United States visitor visa, including application forms, their passport, their Canadian permanent resident card and documentation that explains your reasoning for visiting the United States and your ties to Canada to show that you will not be overstaying your visa.

United States visitor visas are not easy to obtain, even if you are a permanent resident of Canada. Please contact our immigration law firm for assistance!

Michael Niren

About Michael Niren

Michael is a graduate of Osgoode Hall Law School in Toronto. He is a member of the Law Society of Upper Canada, the Canadian Bar Association’s Citizenship and Immigration Section and the Associate Member of the American Bar Association. Read more

The content and comments of this blog are not legal advise and and may not be accurate or complete. If you require legal advice, contact a licensed legal practitioner directly. If you post on this blog, you assume full responsibility for disclosing your identity to the public and VisaPlace nor its affiliates are not responsible for protecting your privacy nor your identity concerning your participation in our blog and you assume any risks in participating.

Customer Reviews

Migrating is a hard task for anyone. Finding a job is even harder. Once I got a job offer, things started moving rapidly. So, I called used VisaPlace (Niren and associates) to assist with the process. Rania and Richard deserve the utmost respect in getting the job done. They have been patient with me and some set backs. Very professional.! Hands down, money was well spent. Thanks Rania and Richard, you make an awesome team. You'll definitely have a repeat customer with me !! I was very impressed at how well they were organized and had a positive experience. Very good and professional work led to a successful outcome. I highly recommend using VisaPlace.

RenaisTTin the last week

I'll like to say I had an awesome initial consultation with Rania Abboud. She was knowledgeable, made the initial process easy and understood my situation. I am excited and hopeful to continue consulting this company. You do a great job for immigrants. Also, Natalie Walcz was great, she handled my situation professionally. Great team. Definitely assets to your company.

Jeffery Yirenkyia week ago

Completely smooth process. Rania did a great job in my Canada work permit. The team is absolutely competent and knowledgeable. Alicea was so amazing and was able to answer any of my questions immediately. I had peace of mind throughout the application. I would recommend them to other friends looking for assistance with their applications.

Theressa Jaranillaa month ago