Living in Canada with a Green Card. Do I need a Reentry Permit?

Canadian Reentry Permit Question

Hi. I live in Canada and have a green card commuter status that expires in mid July of this year. I lost my job this year. In order to keep my status, I should either move to the US or find a job within six months. It’s very difficult to get a new job in the current economy, and it’s even more difficult to move to the US because the house market is also so bad that I can’t sell mine. I’m stuck and time is running out. I heard that I may apply for a reentry permit so I can buy myself more time to find a job without losing my status. Is this true? Any help you can provide is greatly appreciated.


Should you apply for a Reentry Permit?

If you are unable to move to the US and establish residency, then you should apply for a Reentry Permit. Remember that you will have to apply for one from within the US and then wait for a decision which could take a few months. You have to justify why you are unable to reside in the US at this time and that your absence from the US is temporary. I do not think difficulty in finding a job in the US or in Canada will suffice. In your case, a decision will have to be made: either move to the US or potentially abandon your Green Card.

[gravityform id=1 name=Havea Question? ]

Michael Niren

About Michael Niren

Michael is a graduate of Osgoode Hall Law School in Toronto. He is a member of the Law Society of Upper Canada, the Canadian Bar Association’s Citizenship and Immigration Section and the Associate Member of the American Bar Association. Read more

The content and comments of this blog are not legal advise and and may not be accurate or complete. If you require legal advice, contact a licensed legal practitioner directly. If you post on this blog, you assume full responsibility for disclosing your identity to the public and VisaPlace nor its affiliates are not responsible for protecting your privacy nor your identity concerning your participation in our blog and you assume any risks in participating.