Immigration to the USA from Canada

The United States is a place where millions of people wish to move to, and Canadians are no different. But even though Canada and the United States are close both physically and ideologically, Canadians can’t just move to the United States without going through the proper immigration channels. Likewise, United States citizens cannot just move to Canada. Instead, Canadian citizens must look into the proper immigration channels, of which there are several. US immigration

How can you move to the United States as a Canadian citizen?

There are multiple ways of immigrating to the United States, permanently and temporarily.

1. Work visas. There are many different types of work visas for the United States, some of which are for people who want to work in the United States for a few years, while others are for people being transferred to the United States. Most of these visas will require a significantly high level of education and skill. While these visas are mostly temporary, your employer can petition you for permanent residency in the United States.

2. Investor visas. You can obtain permanent residency in the United States by investing in the United States.

3. Spousal sponsorship. If you marry a United States citizen or a permanent resident of the United States, they can sponsor you for permanent residency. However, you will need to demonstrate that your marriage is legitimate to proceed with this option.

4. Family sponsorship. A close family member who is a citizen of the United States can sponsor you for permanent residency. A “close” family member means an immediate family member such as a parent or a sibling.

While it is possible to immigrate to the United States from Canada under a variety of different means, this is a time-consuming and difficult process that can take several months or years. For the best results, please speak with a licensed immigration lawyer.

Michael Niren

About Michael Niren

Michael is a graduate of Osgoode Hall Law School in Toronto. He is a member of the Law Society of Upper Canada, the Canadian Bar Association’s Citizenship and Immigration Section and the Associate Member of the American Bar Association. Read more

The content and comments of this blog are not legal advise and and may not be accurate or complete. If you require legal advice, contact a licensed legal practitioner directly. If you post on this blog, you assume full responsibility for disclosing your identity to the public and VisaPlace nor its affiliates are not responsible for protecting your privacy nor your identity concerning your participation in our blog and you assume any risks in participating.

Customer Reviews

Spectacular experience. Completely smooth process, they were able to answer any of my questions any time and I had peace of mind throughout the application time, which was invaluable. I have recommended them to other friends looking for assistance with their applications, and will continue to do so. Worth every penny.

Faith Cheongin the last week

Here, I would like to say thank you so very much for your kind support on extension my visit visa. I am touched and beyond words, I am grateful and thankful for your always help and cooperation. Have a wonderful day.

Setareh Rasaeiin the last week

Great law firm with great staff. My lawyer Rania did a great job for my Canadian work permit and my daughters study permit. You are great in your work. And my Para Legal officer Alicea, you are just amazing. They did not rest until my job was promptly and properly done. Always there to answer my calls, reply my emails promptly. She tried her best and the results were amazing. I recommend visa place if you need the best immigration job. Many thanks to Rania and Alicea.

Charity Musa2 months ago