Can I Get a US Green Card Through a Job?

green card

A Green card holder is a permanent resident of the United States, who is legally entitled to live and work in the country permanently. While not yet United States citizens, they can become eligible to apply for Citizenship as permanent residents.

Getting a US Green Card Through a Job

There are several different ways someone can become a permanent resident of the United States, including family based sponsorship petitions and employment based green card petitions.

Many applicants who apply for an employer based green card are already working for their employer on a United States work visa such as the L1 visa, or the H1B visa.

The Five Categories of Employment Based Green Cards

There are different categories of employment based petition green card applicants based on their professions. In some cases the applicant may need to obtain labour certification, but this is not always the case. There is a maximum quota for the number of these green cards that can be obtained every year, and there are limits as to how many citizens of one country can apply.

EB-1 Visa

This is the Priority Workers category, which includes people who have extraordinary abilities in athletics, business, education, science or the arts, professors or researchers and managers or executives who are subject to transfer to the United States.

EB-2 Visa

This is for Professionals with advanced degrees or persons with exceptional abilities, and includes persons of exceptional ability in business, science or arts, doctors who practice in an area of medicine where the United States is under served and advanced degree professionals.

EB-3 Visa

This is for Skilled or professional workers, including skilled workers, professionals and unskilled workers.

EB-4 Visa

This is a Special Immigrants Category, which is for religious workers, employees of the United States government and people who have been translators for the United States Armed Forces.

EB-5 Visa

The EB-5 visa is different because it is for investors who will create jobs with investments of between $500,000 and $1 million.

Are You Interested in a US Green Card Through a Job?

All of VisaPlace’s cases are handled by independent, licensed and award winning Canadian and U.S. lawyers who adhere to the highest standards of client service. Contact VisaPlace if you have a job offer or wish to invest in a business in the US. We can assist you with you the paper-work for your visa. You can book a consultation online.

Michael Niren

About Michael Niren

Michael is a graduate of Osgoode Hall Law School in Toronto. He is a member of the Law Society of Upper Canada, the Canadian Bar Association’s Citizenship and Immigration Section and the Associate Member of the American Bar Association. Read more

  • shk

    i ha, live in spain i have parment recidenc in spain plz give me amercan visa

    • owen

      Hello Shk,

      Thanks for the question. We would be happy to help you come to America, but first we will need some more information from you. Please fill out our free online assessment form and one of our immigration professionals will be in touch with you shortly.


  • Mushtaq

    Dear Michael,
    I have FA degree (high school) I am living in pakistan and have 11 years of experience with different companies on multiple job description. I am 32 years old can apply to Canada for study with work???

  • uddin boorhan

    hi hello, this is very good news, i have permanent residence permit of GREECE. now i am thinking about my life and my children family, with together live in CANADA so how can i apply visa with my family, pls, can you give the answer, than you sou much, sir, uddin

    • owen

      Hello Uddin,

      Thanks for the question. We can definitely assist you in coming to Canada, but first we will require some more details about your personal circumstances. Please fill out our free online assessment form and one of our experienced immigration professionals will be in touch with you shortly.


  • Moiz

    Hi Michael,

    I am an individual from Karachi, PK, and have a 3.5 years of total work experience, and an MBA. I want to have your feedback on how to apply for a US greencard – also explain me options on possibilities of it through with or without access to US through other visa forms, such as, B2.

    I’m willing to take your consultation on this. Please let me know the fee.


    • Sarah Jane MacDonald

      Thank you for your inquiry, someone will be in contact with you soon via the email address you’ve provided.

      Sarah Jane

  • Imtiaz

    Hi .. I am doctor and I am training in medicine … I have made a group for research .. And I have started research on medicine , an currently doing research on diabetic education.. Can I apply for green card … Do u know about lottery system as wel .

    • Hello Imitaz

      You could possibility apply for an employment-based Green Card but you require a US Employer to sponsor you. In terms of the lottery it depends what your nationality is.

The content and comments of this blog are not legal advise and and may not be accurate or complete. If you require legal advice, contact a licensed legal practitioner directly. If you post on this blog, you assume full responsibility for disclosing your identity to the public and VisaPlace nor its affiliates are not responsible for protecting your privacy nor your identity concerning your participation in our blog and you assume any risks in participating.

Customer Reviews

Spectacular experience. Completely smooth process, they were able to answer any of my questions any time and I had peace of mind throughout the application time, which was invaluable. I have recommended them to other friends looking for assistance with their applications, and will continue to do so. Worth every penny.

Faith Cheongin the last week

Here, I would like to say thank you so very much for your kind support on extension my visit visa. I am touched and beyond words, I am grateful and thankful for your always help and cooperation. Have a wonderful day.

Setareh Rasaeiin the last week

Great law firm with great staff. My lawyer Rania did a great job for my Canadian work permit and my daughters study permit. You are great in your work. And my Para Legal officer Alicea, you are just amazing. They did not rest until my job was promptly and properly done. Always there to answer my calls, reply my emails promptly. She tried her best and the results were amazing. I recommend visa place if you need the best immigration job. Many thanks to Rania and Alicea.

Charity Musa2 months ago