A Visa for Business Meetings in the US?

You may be asking yourself: Do I need a visa for a business meeting in the United States? If you are a foreign national that is having a business meeting in the US, you may be required to obtain a business visitor visa. This business visitor visa is not a work permit, but a visa specifically designed for when you are in the United States doing work on behalf of your Canadian employer.

B1 Visa for Business Meetings in the US

The business visitor visa for the United States is called the B1 business visitor visa, but it is not always apparent what one can do on a B1 business visitor visa.

L1 Visa for the United States 2

Some examples of what you can do on a B1 visa are:

  • Attending business meetings
  • Purchasing property
  • Attending conferences and conventions
  • Consulting with associates
  • Negotiating contracts
  • Investigating business opportunities

These are the main “business” elements that the United States allows with a B1 business visitor visa.

Obataining a B1 Visa

To obtain your B1 business visitor visa, United States immigration officials have to be satisfied that you are not intending to come to the United States to work. If you are, you will be denied this visa. You must be able to prove to United States immigration that you want entry to the United States for business. You may have to show them a letter from your employer, or a letter from a United States organization that invited you to the United States. You may also show your full travel itinerary.

United States immigration must be shown that you have every intention of leaving the United States when your trip is done. Property records, bank records, employment records, or information about your immediate family in Canada, will help this process.

Do You Need a B1 Visa for Business Meetings in the US?

All of Niren & Associates’ cases are handled by independent, licensed and award winning Canadian and U.S. lawyers who adhere to the highest standards of client service. Give us a call for assistance with your B1 visa application. We are here to make this process easy for you.


Michael Niren

About Michael Niren

Michael is a graduate of Osgoode Hall Law School in Toronto. He is a member of the Law Society of Upper Canada, the Canadian Bar Association’s Citizenship and Immigration Section and the Associate Member of the American Bar Association. Read more

The content and comments of this blog are not legal advise and and may not be accurate or complete. If you require legal advice, contact a licensed legal practitioner directly. If you post on this blog, you assume full responsibility for disclosing your identity to the public and VisaPlace nor its affiliates are not responsible for protecting your privacy nor your identity concerning your participation in our blog and you assume any risks in participating.

Customer Reviews

Visa place is the best!!! I use Yasmeen to do paperwork work for my mom to come to Canada and she was amazing. Very helpful and always reply to your email promptly. My experience was awesome everything was a success and I will recommend VISA PLACE to anyone who want quick and successful results. Thank to all the team at Visa Place but a special thank you to Yasmeen again.

Donnica Waugh3 weeks ago

Working with the team as VisaPlace and their trusted partners was an incredibly wonderful experience! The team is extremely knowledgeable, responsive and has the partnerships to get the job done in an efficient and timely manner. Will definitely call them again should I have more visa requirements, issues or questions!!

P Eyre3 weeks ago

Spectacular experience. Completely smooth process, they were able to answer any of my questions any time and I had peace of mind throughout the application time, which was invaluable. I have recommended them to other friends looking for assistance with their applications, and will continue to do so. Worth every penny.

Faith Cheonga month ago