Secrets to Get Through US Customs Successfully
Coming to the US for leisure or work can be an exciting adventure but there is one thing that everyone can agree on, no one enjoys clearing customs. Regardless of what country you’re traveling from, everyone still has to answer to custom officers once you’ve arrived in the United States. Typically everyone dreads clearing customs but if you are prepared for their questions and searches it can be a relatively quick and easy process.
Questions US Customs Can Ask You
1. Can I have your passport?
2. Where are you flying in from?
3. What is the purpose of your visit?
4. Where are you going to be staying?
5. How long do you intend to stay?
6. Do you have a return ticket?
7. Do you have anything to declare?
8. What is your occupation?
Things You Should Not Say at Customs
1. “I’m not sure where I’m staying”
2. “I don’t know how long I’ll be here”
3. “I’m nervous”
4. “I’m not sure if I have any agricultural products”
5. Just don’t be rude to the officer!
Tips to Get Through Customs Smoothly
1. Don’t bring agriculture into the United States from another country.
2. Always carry a photo of your passport in case you lose your passport while traveling or download the Mobile Passport app.
3. Fill out your customs form while on the plane, don’t wait till you’re in front of the officer to do so.
4. If you aren’t sure if you should declare an item, just do it. The officer will not like your “I didn’t know if I should” answer.
5. Don’t bring back too much alcohol.
6. Have your papers ready: Visas, passport, customs form, return tickets, hotel reservations, etc.
7. Be prepared to have them go through your social media for any possibilities of incorrect information.
Traveling can be stressful but if come prepared before going through customs, it won’t be a painful experience that everyone warns you about. Going through US customs will not be miserable if you have a plan ahead of time and prepare for your customs interview. If things do start going south with your customs interview, be ready to call a US immigration lawyer or US immigration attorney to help you.
Do You Need Help Getting into the US Legally?
If so, Contact VisaPlace today. All our cases are handled by competent and experienced immigration professionals who are affiliated with VisaPlace. These professionals consist of lawyers, licensed paralegals and consultants who work for Niren and Associates an award winning immigration firm that adheres to the highest standards of client service.
Have a Question related to your Immigration Needs?
Click here to fill out the FREE Immigration Assessment form below and get a response within 24 hours to see if you’re eligible.
The assessment form should take approximately 5-7 minutes to complete. We will get back to you within one business day to let you know if we are able to help.
The content and comments of this blog are not legal advise and and may not be accurate or complete. If you require legal advice, contact a licensed legal practitioner directly. If you post on this blog, you assume full responsibility for disclosing your identity to the public and VisaPlace nor its affiliates are not responsible for protecting your privacy nor your identity concerning your participation in our blog and you assume any risks in participating.
I could not have asked for more! The VisaPlace team are extremely professional, they know their stuff. They gave me great information, prepared my work visa application and then prepared me for the submission process. I was successful. Got my visa. 5 stars! I would give them 6 if I could.
This is not an exaggeration!!! I was truly impressed with the way VisaPlace consultants handled my case. The consultants- Emily, Lauren, Takunda and Lisa, took their time to explain to me in great deal how they were going to approach my case and how they would handle setbacks, if any. Their professionalism and knowledge of the law were superb. The minor setback that came up was quickly addressed by the team. The team constantly kept me updated on the progress/status of my application; they quickly responded to my questions/concerns. They had predicated my permanent residency to be processed within 6 -12, and Indeed it was processed and completed within 6 months. Based on my personal experience, Emily and Lauren's team are the best! They deserve 5 stars!!!!!!!!!!!
VisaPlace helped me sponsor my husband to become a Permanent Resident of Canada. They were extremely professional. Every step along the way was explained fully and expertly taken care of. The staff responded immediately to any questions and always handled our concerns fully, taking as much time as we needed to understand where we were at in the immigration process and what to expect next. I would recommend VisaPlace with no hesitation at all. I'm sure if we had tried to navigate the immigration process ourselves, it would have been much harder.