How can I work in the US on a TN Visa?

If you are planning to work in the United States or have been offered a job in the United States, you need to obtain a work visa. You must be a Canadian citizen to work in the United States on a TN visa, while also having an existing job offer from a United States employer. TN Work Visa

To work in the US on a TN visa, this job offer must be in what is called a professional occupation, which means an occupation requiring a high level of education such as a medical professional or a scientist.

This visa is very attractive because there isn’t a limit to how many are issued by the United States government every year, and it can be applied for at the border so there is no long wait for your application to be processed.

However, that does not mean that the TN visa is a shortcut or is easy to obtain. Check out our top tips for obtaining a TN visa below:

Our top tips for obtaining a TN visa

Tip 1: You must have a job offer from a US employer in a qualifying job under NAFTA.
Tip 2: Your job offer should not exceed three years, and your passport should be valid for the next three years.
Tip 3: You should be qualified for the job you’ve been offered as evidenced by your resume and work history.
Tip 4: Your job offer should be formatted properly for a TN visa as a petition for a TN visa on your behalf.
Tip 5: You should have adequate evidence that demonstrates your ties to Canada such as information about your mortgage or apartment lease, your close or immediate family living in Canada or your job.
Tip 6: Have your supporting documentation and job offer reviewed by a licensed immigration lawyer, so that you know you are ready to go and that you do not risk being denied at the border.

Michael Niren

About Michael Niren

Michael is a graduate of Osgoode Hall Law School in Toronto. He is a member of the Law Society of Upper Canada, the Canadian Bar Association’s Citizenship and Immigration Section and the Associate Member of the American Bar Association. Read more

The content and comments of this blog are not legal advise and and may not be accurate or complete. If you require legal advice, contact a licensed legal practitioner directly. If you post on this blog, you assume full responsibility for disclosing your identity to the public and VisaPlace nor its affiliates are not responsible for protecting your privacy nor your identity concerning your participation in our blog and you assume any risks in participating.