My TN Visa will expire soon. Where can I apply for a new TN Visa?

Canadian Working on a TN Visa

Q.  I am a Canadian working in the USA as a Management Consultant under on a TN Visa. My Visa expires in January 2011 and I want to renew it. Can I renew it from within the US or do I have to return to Canada and apply at the Canadian/US border? I am working in Houston, Texas. Thanks for your help.


TN Visa Application Options

A. TN Visas are valid from up to 3 years years. Applying for a new one will depend on whether your current employer wishes to extend your employment beyond the validity of your TN Visa. In other cases, you may have a new US job offer for which you need a new TN Visa. In either case, you can apply for a new TN Visa at either a Port of Entry from Canada or Mexico. From within the US, you can apply at your local Service Center. Since you are working in Houston, you can apply for a new TN at the Texas Service Center. If you decide to go this route, make sure you apply before your TN Visa expires.

If you apply at a port of entry, you can do so though the Mexico/US border as it would be much closer than going back to Canada. Be aware, however, that not “all borders are created equal” meaning that your TN Visa application may be handled quite differently depending on where you decide to apply. It’s important therefore to be aware of the, shall I say, “nuances” of the borders and service centers that process TN Visas as well as other US work permits.

[gravityform id=1 name=Havea Question? ]
Michael Niren

About Michael Niren

Michael is a graduate of Osgoode Hall Law School in Toronto. He is a member of the Law Society of Upper Canada, the Canadian Bar Association’s Citizenship and Immigration Section and the Associate Member of the American Bar Association. Read more

The content and comments of this blog are not legal advise and and may not be accurate or complete. If you require legal advice, contact a licensed legal practitioner directly. If you post on this blog, you assume full responsibility for disclosing your identity to the public and VisaPlace nor its affiliates are not responsible for protecting your privacy nor your identity concerning your participation in our blog and you assume any risks in participating.

Customer Reviews

Here’s my good advice; Lawyer up. ...and if your looking for a group of lawyers to help with your international affairs regarding visas and work permits; these professionals are top notch. I’ve had a great experience, they got the job done, and my job was very complicated. Rania Abboud, high five to you especially, you set up a great plan for success, replied to my questions very quickly, kept me informed and your very knowledgeable in your field. To everyone else at VisaPlace; Thank you as well. As a business owner myself I immediately recognized the way your team works so effectively! I wish you all the best of success. J.

Jason Mayerin the last week

The team at the Visa place as very thorough in the preparation of my application which I am sure made a difference. They guided the process well to a successful outcome. Would recommend them for sure.

Brad Davies2 weeks ago

I hired them for my study permit application! I had been denied twice and thanks to them the 3rd try was a success. Lisa Inspektor was my main contact. She is Very nice and polite. I strongly recommend you to go with them! The money you’re gonna spend is gonna be worth it

landry walker3 weeks ago