How to Know If You Meet TN Visa Requirements
A TN visa allows Canadian and Mexican professionals to live and work in the United States. However, before you can apply, you have to ensure you meet all the TN visa requirements. Check out our guide below:
Basic TN Visa Requirements
“A citizen of a NAFTA country may work in a professional occupation in the U.S. provided:
- The profession is recognized under NAFTA; and
- The alien possesses the specific criteria for that profession; and
- The prospective position requires someone in that professional capacity; and
- The alien is going to work for a U.S. employer.
If all of these conditions are met, then a TN may be issued.”
However, according to travel.state.gov: “The order of these steps and how you complete them may vary at the US Embassy or Consulate where you apply.”
Follow our steps below:
1. Find an Employer
Before you can apply for a TN visa, you need to first receive a job offer from an employer willing to sponsor you and file an application on your behalf. From this moment onward, we’ll refer to your employer as the “Petitioner” and you (the employee) as the “Beneficiary.”
2. Ensure the Job Is an Acceptable TN Occupation
Before you go any further, as the beneficiary you should make sure the job you are being offered is listed as a TN occupation. According to wikihow: “The job must be one of the professions in Appendix 1603.D.1 of the NAFTA.” You can find the full list of acceptable occupations here.
3. Ensure You Qualify for the TN Occupation
You have to be able to qualify for what’s known as the Minimum Education Requirements, or Alternative Credentials of your chosen TN occupation.
These requirements will vary depending on the occupation, but most TN occupations will require you to possess a Baccalaureate or Licenciatura degree in a relevant field. However, there are some occupations that only require five years of suitable work experience.
4. Ask Your Petitioner to Draft a Support Letter
The petitioner must write a support letter that contains the following key information:
- A company description explaining the petitioner’s business, basic financial information and the number of employees, along with any other important information. It should express a strong need for the beneficiary’s occupation.
- A detailed job description highlighting that the job is an acceptable TN occupation, along with why the beneficiary’s occupation is essential to the business’s success. Bear in mind, the adjudicating immigration officer will base their decision on the information provided in this letter, so it should include as much detail as possible.
- The beneficiary’s qualifications, and why they are qualified for the position in question.
5. Ensure You Have All the Correct Documents
Bring the following to the port of entry or US Consulate:
- A valid passport
- Your employer support letter
- Proof of your qualifications and transcripts
- Proof of your professional licenses
- Employment verification letters
- Your resume
- Basic company information
Are You Interested in Applying for a TN Visa?
The documentation and processes involved in successfully obtaining a TN Visa for a foreign beneficiary are complex and usually require legal expertise. As such, if you’re considering applying for a TN visa, you should consider hiring an immigration lawyer. At Visaplace, we have helped thousands and thousands of Canadians and Mexicans successfully enter the U.S. with TN Visas and we can help you too!
Getting started is easy. Simply fill out our Free Immigration Assessment Form and we will get back to you within 24 hours to discuss your eligibility and options.
The content and comments of this blog are not legal advise and and may not be accurate or complete. If you require legal advice, contact a licensed legal practitioner directly. If you post on this blog, you assume full responsibility for disclosing your identity to the public and VisaPlace nor its affiliates are not responsible for protecting your privacy nor your identity concerning your participation in our blog and you assume any risks in participating.
Visa place is the best!!! I use Yasmeen to do paperwork work for my mom to come to Canada and she was amazing. Very helpful and always reply to your email promptly. My experience was awesome everything was a success and I will recommend VISA PLACE to anyone who want quick and successful results. Thank to all the team at Visa Place but a special thank you to Yasmeen again.
Working with the team as VisaPlace and their trusted partners was an incredibly wonderful experience! The team is extremely knowledgeable, responsive and has the partnerships to get the job done in an efficient and timely manner. Will definitely call them again should I have more visa requirements, issues or questions!!
Spectacular experience. Completely smooth process, they were able to answer any of my questions any time and I had peace of mind throughout the application time, which was invaluable. I have recommended them to other friends looking for assistance with their applications, and will continue to do so. Worth every penny.