What Do I Need to Apply for a TN Visa?


Are you a Canadian citizen with a job offer in the United States? Is this job offer in a professional occupation, such as engineering, medicine or science? You could be eligible to apply for the TN visa, which is a United States work visa that is only for Canadians.

Understanding the TN Visa

In order to work in the United States legally, you need to have a work visa even if you are a Canadian citizen and you already have a job offer.  Even though TN visas are only available for Canadian citizens, that doesn’t mean that you will have an easy time getting one. There is a significant amount of documentation that is required to obtain one of these visas.

What Do I need to Apply for a TN Visa for the United States?

In order to apply for a TN visa, you need to have a valid Canadian passport as proof of your citizenship, and the passport must be valid for longer than three years because this is as long as the visa will be valid for. Your job offer must be in a specific format for the TN visa, which is as a petition for the TN visa from your employer.

You must also be able to show United States immigration authorities that you are qualified for the job that you have been offered, which can be done using your resume (as long as it is up to date and properly formatted) as well as any degrees you may have earned or other proof of relevant education. TN visas are not easy to obtain, but the opportunity to work in the United States is just too good to pass up! Make sure that you speak with a licensed immigration lawyer regarding your TN visa application before you apply! We can help you.

Do You Need Help Applying for a TN Visa?

All of Niren & Associates’ cases are handled by independent, licensed and award winning Canadian and U.S. lawyers who adhere to the highest standards of client service. VisaPlace.com was founded over 15 years ago by Michael Niren, “To provide clients with affordable, effective and expeditious immigration solutions.” If you need help applying for a TN visa, let us help.

Michael Niren

About Michael Niren

Michael is a graduate of Osgoode Hall Law School in Toronto. He is a member of the Law Society of Upper Canada, the Canadian Bar Association’s Citizenship and Immigration Section and the Associate Member of the American Bar Association. Read more

The content and comments of this blog are not legal advise and and may not be accurate or complete. If you require legal advice, contact a licensed legal practitioner directly. If you post on this blog, you assume full responsibility for disclosing your identity to the public and VisaPlace nor its affiliates are not responsible for protecting your privacy nor your identity concerning your participation in our blog and you assume any risks in participating.

Customer Reviews

Spectacular experience. Completely smooth process, they were able to answer any of my questions any time and I had peace of mind throughout the application time, which was invaluable. I have recommended them to other friends looking for assistance with their applications, and will continue to do so. Worth every penny.

Faith Cheongin the last week

Here, I would like to say thank you so very much for your kind support on extension my visit visa. I am touched and beyond words, I am grateful and thankful for your always help and cooperation. Have a wonderful day.

Setareh Rasaeiin the last week

Great law firm with great staff. My lawyer Rania did a great job for my Canadian work permit and my daughters study permit. You are great in your work. And my Para Legal officer Alicea, you are just amazing. They did not rest until my job was promptly and properly done. Always there to answer my calls, reply my emails promptly. She tried her best and the results were amazing. I recommend visa place if you need the best immigration job. Many thanks to Rania and Alicea.

Charity Musa2 months ago