Apply for a TN Visa to Work in the United States

Whether or not Canadian citizens can work in the United States is one of the most common questions asked by Canadians and the fact is they can with a visa or a TN visa. Canadian citizens can indeed work in the United States, however they may need a work visa like anyone else who wants to work in the United States. There are actually visas that designed specifically for Canadian citizens. One of these visas is the TN visa.

What You Should Know Applying for a TN Visa to Work in the US

The TN visa is a work visa that is only available to apply-for-TN-visa-work-in-the-united-statesCanadian citizens, or citizens of Mexico under the NAFTA (North American Free Trade Agreement). Permanent residents of Canada are not able to apply for this visa.

Only Specific Work in the US is Eligible for the TN Visa

One thing to remember about the TN visa is that it is only for specific occupations as authorized by the North American Free Trade Agreement. The occupations are found on this list here, and include occupations requiring a high level of education or expertise such as doctor, lawyer and scientist.

Can Apply at the US-Canada Border

If you are a Canadian who is interested in obtaining a TN visa to work temporarily in the United States, please note that you are able to apply for this visa at the US-Canada border. However, that does not mean the visa is an easy one to obtain and you may end up being denied for the visa after you have traveled all that way.

Want to Apply for a TN Visa to Work in the US?

The TN visa has extremely strict requirements and you will also have to undergo an interview with a treaty officer when you apply. We can help you make sure that you are prepared to apply for a TN visa, that you are eligible for a TN visa, and that you are ready to go when it comes time to travel to the border and begin your work in the United States. Feel free to contact us and speak with a licensed immigration lawyer. We look forward to hearing from you!

Michael Niren

About Michael Niren

Michael is a graduate of Osgoode Hall Law School in Toronto. He is a member of the Law Society of Upper Canada, the Canadian Bar Association’s Citizenship and Immigration Section and the Associate Member of the American Bar Association. Read more

The content and comments of this blog are not legal advise and and may not be accurate or complete. If you require legal advice, contact a licensed legal practitioner directly. If you post on this blog, you assume full responsibility for disclosing your identity to the public and VisaPlace nor its affiliates are not responsible for protecting your privacy nor your identity concerning your participation in our blog and you assume any risks in participating.

Customer Reviews

Here’s my good advice; Lawyer up. ...and if your looking for a group of lawyers to help with your international affairs regarding visas and work permits; these professionals are top notch. I’ve had a great experience, they got the job done, and my job was very complicated. Rania Abboud, high five to you especially, you set up a great plan for success, replied to my questions very quickly, kept me informed and your very knowledgeable in your field. To everyone else at VisaPlace; Thank you as well. As a business owner myself I immediately recognized the way your team works so effectively! I wish you all the best of success. J.

Jason Mayerin the last week

The team at the Visa place as very thorough in the preparation of my application which I am sure made a difference. They guided the process well to a successful outcome. Would recommend them for sure.

Brad Davies2 weeks ago

I hired them for my study permit application! I had been denied twice and thanks to them the 3rd try was a success. Lisa Inspektor was my main contact. She is Very nice and polite. I strongly recommend you to go with them! The money you’re gonna spend is gonna be worth it

landry walker3 weeks ago