Temporary Residence Permit for skipper sailing into Vancouver

Temporary Residence Permit obtained thanks to Niren and Associates

We had the privilege of representing a Skipper who required a Temporary Resident Permit (TRP)  in order to enter Canadian waters off Vancouver.

The applicant was on his boat during his journey from Hawaii to Vancouver, Canada and could not receive faxes or emails. It would take him 14 days to reach Vancouver. On top of that, he had limited access to the phone and Internet while he was at sea, and he had absolutely no access to a printer before he docked in Vancouver, which means he even would not have a proper application package to present to Canadian Border Service Agency (CBSA).

We therefore had to contact the CBSA, Marine Security Unit, directly and sent them the client’s TRP package directly for their review and consideration. In most cases, applicants have their TRP application packages in hand for presentation to the CBSA.  We emailed CBSA the TRP package and the officer in charge of the port told us he received it and would make a final decision after intrviewing the Skipper when he arrived.

Well, he did arrive and the interview went well. Our Skipper was issued his TRP and was allowed to sail into Canada. Here is now a happy sailor!


Hello Mary,

Would like to thank you for all of your assistance in obtaining a Temporary Residence Permit for my allowance into Canada.  Everything came together very easy and much faster than trying to do it on my own.  The whole process was handled extremely professional and in a short time period.

Thanks again,

Trevor H

Have a question about Temporary Residence Permits? Contact Niren and Associates immigration law firm today.

[gravityform id=1 name=Havea Question? ]
Michael Niren

About Michael Niren

Michael is a graduate of Osgoode Hall Law School in Toronto. He is a member of the Law Society of Upper Canada, the Canadian Bar Association’s Citizenship and Immigration Section and the Associate Member of the American Bar Association. Read more



    I would like to know if you can kindly assist me in obtaining a Temporary Resident Visa. I will be in U.S. Virgin Island and I wish to visit Vancouver.

    Thanks for your answer,


    • Dear Chima,

      To apply for a Temporary Resident Permit, you need to fill out the required forms and collect documents required by the Canadian Visa Office responsible for your area – in your case, you need to apply to the Canadian Visa Office in Washington D.C. As each office has different requirements, it is important that you make sure you fulfill all the requirements for each visa office.

      Thank you.

The content and comments of this blog are not legal advise and and may not be accurate or complete. If you require legal advice, contact a licensed legal practitioner directly. If you post on this blog, you assume full responsibility for disclosing your identity to the public and VisaPlace nor its affiliates are not responsible for protecting your privacy nor your identity concerning your participation in our blog and you assume any risks in participating.

Customer Reviews

Here’s my good advice; Lawyer up. ...and if your looking for a group of lawyers to help with your international affairs regarding visas and work permits; these professionals are top notch. I’ve had a great experience, they got the job done, and my job was very complicated. Rania Abboud, high five to you especially, you set up a great plan for success, replied to my questions very quickly, kept me informed and your very knowledgeable in your field. To everyone else at VisaPlace; Thank you as well. As a business owner myself I immediately recognized the way your team works so effectively! I wish you all the best of success. J.

Jason Mayerin the last week

The team at the Visa place as very thorough in the preparation of my application which I am sure made a difference. They guided the process well to a successful outcome. Would recommend them for sure.

Brad Davies2 weeks ago

I hired them for my study permit application! I had been denied twice and thanks to them the 3rd try was a success. Lisa Inspektor was my main contact. She is Very nice and polite. I strongly recommend you to go with them! The money you’re gonna spend is gonna be worth it

landry walker3 weeks ago