Refused at the Canadian border? What are your options for Admission to Canada?

Refused at the Canadian border?

Being refused at the Canadian border or being denied entry to Canada can be extremely time consuming, frustrating and costly. Imagine paying upfront for a nice vacation only to find that you cannot enter Canada or stop at any Canadian airport – or, you have an important event such as a wedding or funeral to go to. Many people think they have nothing to worry about may be wrong – even the tiniest criminal conviction from decades ago can result in your being refused at the Canadian border. Most often, it is simply a customs officer (or member of the Canada Border Services Agency, or also known as a border official) who decides you are inadmissible to Canada – for varying reasons, including not having sufficient ties to your home country or visiting Canada too much… or you could be inadmissible for the aforementioned criminal convictions or health issues.

Temporary Resident Permit as an Option for Admission to Canada

Luckily, people who have been refused at the Canadian border do have options. Specifically, people denied entry to Canada because of criminal convictions can apply for a temporary residency permit (or TRP), which will allow them to visit Canada.

We have written extensively about TRPs. TRPs can be issued for people with DUI’s, assault charges, or other even more serious offences. TRPs are usually issued at a Canadian Consulate but in some cases can be issued at a Canada border. TRPs require a lot of documentation including  information about your criminal convictions, background information etc.

Otherwise, people who are concerned about being refused at the Canadian border or who have been denied entry to Canada previously should speak with an immigration lawyer to learn more about what can be done in their situation.

Have you been Refused Entry to Canada? Need Admission to Canada?

You can call us or email us at

Click here for more a more detailed look at your options when refused at the Canadian border.

Michael Niren

About Michael Niren

Michael is a graduate of Osgoode Hall Law School in Toronto. He is a member of the Law Society of Upper Canada, the Canadian Bar Association’s Citizenship and Immigration Section and the Associate Member of the American Bar Association. Read more

The content and comments of this blog are not legal advise and and may not be accurate or complete. If you require legal advice, contact a licensed legal practitioner directly. If you post on this blog, you assume full responsibility for disclosing your identity to the public and VisaPlace nor its affiliates are not responsible for protecting your privacy nor your identity concerning your participation in our blog and you assume any risks in participating.

Customer Reviews

Visa place is the best!!! I use Yasmeen to do paperwork work for my mom to come to Canada and she was amazing. Very helpful and always reply to your email promptly. My experience was awesome everything was a success and I will recommend VISA PLACE to anyone who want quick and successful results. Thank to all the team at Visa Place but a special thank you to Yasmeen again.

Donnica Waugh2 weeks ago

Working with the team as VisaPlace and their trusted partners was an incredibly wonderful experience! The team is extremely knowledgeable, responsive and has the partnerships to get the job done in an efficient and timely manner. Will definitely call them again should I have more visa requirements, issues or questions!!

P Eyre2 weeks ago

Spectacular experience. Completely smooth process, they were able to answer any of my questions any time and I had peace of mind throughout the application time, which was invaluable. I have recommended them to other friends looking for assistance with their applications, and will continue to do so. Worth every penny.

Faith Cheong4 weeks ago