I was refused entry into Canada because of my DUI. What can I do?

I am a US Citizen and had a DUI 3 years ago. I tried to enter Canada but I was refused entry because of my DUI Conviction. What Can I do to get into Canada? I am a business person and have occasion for frequent travels to Canada.


Your DUI conviction renders you inadmissible to Canada and therefore you would require a Temporary Resident Permit (TRP) to enter Canada. TRPs can be issued either at a Canadian Consulate or a Canadian Port of Entry. In cases where criminality is serious it is always advisable to apply for your TRP at the Canadian Consulate. TRPs are generally difficult to obtain even for minor offenses so it is important to  carefully prepare these applications in order to persuade an immigration officer to approve your application. TRPs can be single or multiple entry and can vary in duration. We have wrote extensively on this subject here and here

Michael Niren

About Michael Niren

Michael is a graduate of Osgoode Hall Law School in Toronto. He is a member of the Law Society of Upper Canada, the Canadian Bar Association’s Citizenship and Immigration Section and the Associate Member of the American Bar Association. Read more

The content and comments of this blog are not legal advise and and may not be accurate or complete. If you require legal advice, contact a licensed legal practitioner directly. If you post on this blog, you assume full responsibility for disclosing your identity to the public and VisaPlace nor its affiliates are not responsible for protecting your privacy nor your identity concerning your participation in our blog and you assume any risks in participating.