Can You Get Into Canada If You Have A DUI

Getting into Canada while having a criminal record for DUI is a common concern many Americans have. It is very important that Canada is able to effectively secure its borders and keep people who may be dangerous out, but sometimes people who post no threat to Canada or Canadians are caught up in this red tape. While a DUI conviction is very serious, you may have completed your sentence and turned your life around. Despite this, you will still be inadmissible to Canada with a DUI on your criminal record.

Overcoming Criminal Inadmissibility to Gain Canadian Entry

However, if you have a DUI on your criminal record and want to get into Canada, there are several things you can do. Some of these options involve merely overcoming your criminal inadmissibility while others wipe the inadmissibility away. Before you consider these options, however, please know that it can be a great advantage to discuss your DUI conviction and criminal inadmissibility with a licensed immigration attorney who is experienced in denial of entry cases.

Common Options for Getting Into Canada With a DUI

One of the most common ways to get into Canada with a DUI is a temporary resident permit, sometimes referred to as a visitor visa. This is like requesting special permission to enter Canada for an important reason such as a business conference or emergency despite that fact that you are criminally inadmissible.

To obtain a temporary resident permit, you’ll have to meet several strict requirements and provide evidence to convince officials that you only have honest intentions, including: proof of your ties to the United States that show you won’t overstay and will return home, proof that you can financially support yourself and a valid passport.

Deemed Rehabilitation or Criminal Rehabilitation

You may also be eligible to apply for deemed rehabilitation or criminal rehabilitation. Deemed rehabilitation is for when a significant amount of time has passed since your conviction, and immigration officers will look at your criminal case as well as the likelihood you will commit another crime. Criminal rehabilitation is for those whose crimes occurred more than five years ago, but these applications can take quite some time to process. You may also be able to apply for a pardon or discharge.

Find an Immigration Lawyer Before Entering Canada With a DUI

Our immigration law firm has successfully handled thousands of denial of entry cases. We can help you too! Don’t panic, contact us as soon as you can for assistance. We can definitely make a difference in your outcome.

Michael Niren

About Michael Niren

Michael is a graduate of Osgoode Hall Law School in Toronto. He is a member of the Law Society of Upper Canada, the Canadian Bar Association’s Citizenship and Immigration Section and the Associate Member of the American Bar Association. Read more

The content and comments of this blog are not legal advise and and may not be accurate or complete. If you require legal advice, contact a licensed legal practitioner directly. If you post on this blog, you assume full responsibility for disclosing your identity to the public and VisaPlace nor its affiliates are not responsible for protecting your privacy nor your identity concerning your participation in our blog and you assume any risks in participating.