How to Get into Canada if you have a Criminal Record

If you have a criminal record, you may be denied entry into Canada at the border if you try to enter Canada. This can be a serious inconvenience and ruin any travel plans you may have had, whether you were going on vacation, visiting family or traveling for business. Denied Entry to Canada

No matter how old or insignificant the charge may seem, if you have a criminal record you can be denied entry to Canada. But, there is a way that you can still get into Canada with a criminal record.

How to Get Into Canada With A Criminal Record

If you have a criminal record or are worried about being denied entry to Canada, you can apply for a Temporary Resident Permit, which is sometimes called a visitor’s visa.

The Temporary Resident Permit can get you into Canada even if you have a criminal record or medical illness that would otherwise cause you to be denied entry to Canada.

A Temporary Resident Permit can be applied for at the border, but that doesn’t necessarily guarantee your approval. It’s up to the immigration officials at the border to decide whether you can enter Canada and approve your Temporary Resident Application.

For the best chance of success, discuss your individual circumstances with a licensed immigration lawyer, who can then guide you further. For more information, visit our web page on being Denied Entry to Canada and watch our informative video.


Michael Niren

About Michael Niren

Michael is a graduate of Osgoode Hall Law School in Toronto. He is a member of the Law Society of Upper Canada, the Canadian Bar Association’s Citizenship and Immigration Section and the Associate Member of the American Bar Association. Read more

  • Shahriar Bhuiyan

    I am looking for your help to send Bangladeshi male or female to canada.

    • Hello Thank you for your question. If you have someone who wishes to enter Canada with a criminal record, that person may been a Temporary Resident Permit (TRP). In this case, the TRP should be submitted to the Canadian Embassy overseas.

The content and comments of this blog are not legal advise and and may not be accurate or complete. If you require legal advice, contact a licensed legal practitioner directly. If you post on this blog, you assume full responsibility for disclosing your identity to the public and VisaPlace nor its affiliates are not responsible for protecting your privacy nor your identity concerning your participation in our blog and you assume any risks in participating.