Americans Denied Entry to Canada for DUI


A DUI (Driving Under the Influence) or drunk driving conviction can cause you to be denied entry to Canada, even if you are an American citizen. If you have a criminal record for a DUI, you will simply be turned away if you try to enter Canada and you must return to the United States.

While most criminal records can get you denied entry to Canada, the Canadian government takes DUI convictions very, very seriously.

Options for Denied Entry to Canada Due to DUI

If you are denied entry to Canada for a DUI on your criminal record, you could consider applying for criminal rehabilitation. You will only be eligible if your conviction is older than five years, and to do this you must apply for criminal rehabilitation at your Canadian consulate or embassy.

Applying for a Temporary Resident Permit

Another option you have when you are denied entry to Canada for a DUI is to apply for a temporary resident permit, sometimes called a visitor visa in Canada. When you apply for a temporary resident permit, you will be able to enter Canada despite already being criminally inadmissible.

When you apply for a temporary resident permit, you have two options. You can apply at the Canadian port of entry (like an airport) or at the Canadian border, and if you are approved you will be approved on the spot – allowed to enter Canada. However, the major downside to this method is that if you are denied – and many of these applications are – you will have travelled all of the way to the borer or port of entry and not be allowed to enter.

You may also apply at the Canadian Consulate in the United States by mail. While this method takes several months to process, you will not have to travel.

Understanding Your Criminal InadmissibIilty

Applying for a temporary resident permit is not an easy process. You are criminally inadmissible to Canada and will have to provide a lot of information to the Canadian immigration authorities so they can look over your case very, very closely.

In addition to providing them with the details of your criminal conviction, you will have to convince them that you will not overstay your temporary resident permit, and that you will leave Canada when you are done with you visit. You can do this by providing proof that you have strong ties to the United States, namely that you have a job there, immediate family there or that you own property there.

Have You Been Denied Entry to Canada Due to DUI?

The VisaPlace Group of Lawyers (VPGs) and their staff are all independent, licensed practitioners who understand how important it is for to you to achieve your immigration goals and have been trained to follow best practices and procedures to maximize your chances of success! If you have been denied entry to Canada due to DUI, we may have the answers you seek. Contact us to book a consultation.

Michael Niren

About Michael Niren

Michael is a graduate of Osgoode Hall Law School in Toronto. He is a member of the Law Society of Upper Canada, the Canadian Bar Association’s Citizenship and Immigration Section and the Associate Member of the American Bar Association. Read more

The content and comments of this blog are not legal advise and and may not be accurate or complete. If you require legal advice, contact a licensed legal practitioner directly. If you post on this blog, you assume full responsibility for disclosing your identity to the public and VisaPlace nor its affiliates are not responsible for protecting your privacy nor your identity concerning your participation in our blog and you assume any risks in participating.

Customer Reviews

Here’s my good advice; Lawyer up. ...and if your looking for a group of lawyers to help with your international affairs regarding visas and work permits; these professionals are top notch. I’ve had a great experience, they got the job done, and my job was very complicated. Rania Abboud, high five to you especially, you set up a great plan for success, replied to my questions very quickly, kept me informed and your very knowledgeable in your field. To everyone else at VisaPlace; Thank you as well. As a business owner myself I immediately recognized the way your team works so effectively! I wish you all the best of success. J.

Jason Mayerin the last week

The team at the Visa place as very thorough in the preparation of my application which I am sure made a difference. They guided the process well to a successful outcome. Would recommend them for sure.

Brad Davies2 weeks ago

I hired them for my study permit application! I had been denied twice and thanks to them the 3rd try was a success. Lisa Inspektor was my main contact. She is Very nice and polite. I strongly recommend you to go with them! The money you’re gonna spend is gonna be worth it

landry walker3 weeks ago