Canada’s health and security regulations mean that if you’ve had a criminal conviction (which can include a misdemeanor DUI/DWI) in the past 10 years, you may be denied entry into Canada unless you have a Temporary Resident Permit (TRP).
A TRP allows otherwise ineligible candidates to cross the border into Canada for predetermined period of time that can range from one day to three years, depending on your reason for visiting and personal circumstances.
Below we’re going to go over some of the reasons why you should hire a Temporary Resident Permit lawyer, rather than going it alone:
1. The TRP application process is a complicated legal procedure that can be confusing if you are inexperienced in such matters.
2. A Temporary Resident Permit lawyer will be able to help you download the Temporary Resident Permit application form (IMM 5708) and ensure you have all the documentation you need for your application.
3. Having a lawyer with you throughout the process means you’d have help creating a persuasive narrative to accompany your application.
4. A lawyer would be able to advise you on every step of the legal process in your TRP application.
5. You would be able to benefit from the extensive knowledge a lawyer could bring to your case, allowing you to have the best chance of success.
6. The Canadian border has full access to the United States criminal database (thanks to criminal database sharing between RCMP and the FBI) and will be able to check if you have a DWI/DUI. If you are found to have a DUI and try to enter Canada without a Temporary Resident Permit, you may be denied entry to Canada.
7. If have a driving violation, for example reckless driving, the equivalent Canadian infraction has to be considered. However, ascertaining the Canadian version of a US DUI or similar can be very difficult, which is why most people opt for legal counsel.
8. A lawyer will be able to look at all angles of your application and spot any errors or problems that may occur – before you formally submit your application.
9. You’ll have support through every stage of the process.
10. The TRP Canada process can be lengthy, and if you are turned down for any reason, it can be a lot more challenging to reapply. Why take the risk?
Are you looking for a temporary resident permit lawyer? We at Visaplace can help. All of our cases are handled by independent, licensed and award winning Canadian lawyers who adhere to the highest standards of client service. To get started, please fill our free eligibility online assessment form here and then one of our immigration professionals will get back to you with your results within one business day. Additionally, you can contact us here.
The content and comments of this blog are not legal advise and and may not be accurate or complete. If you require legal advice, contact a licensed legal practitioner directly. If you post on this blog, you assume full responsibility for disclosing your identity to the public and VisaPlace nor its affiliates are not responsible for protecting your privacy nor your identity concerning your participation in our blog and you assume any risks in participating.