New changes to the Foreign Worker Program
The Temporary Foreign Worker Program allows Canadian employers to bring foreign workers to Canada when they are not able to find willing or able Canadians to fill jobs that they have available. However, a recent news story found that the Royal Bank of Canada may be bringing in foreign workers to replace their Canadian workers, and this created a huge backlash.
In response, which may be overkill, the Canadian government has come out with some very strict changes to the temporary foreign worker program in Canada.
What are the changes to the Canadian Temporary Foreign Worker program?
The changes to the Foreign Worker Program include:
- English and French are the only two languages that could be used as a job requirement under the program.
- Fees will be charged on Labour Market Opinion applications, and work permits will have higher fees.
- In the Labour Market Opinion process, employers must indicate how they will eventually transition to a Canadian workforce.
- When employers are applying for Labour Market Opinions, they will be asked questions to ensure that the Foreign Worker program is not being used to outsource Canadian jobs.
- The government will have more authority to revoke or suspend work permits when they think the program is being misused.
- The Accelerated Labour Market Opinion process is being cancelled, effective immediately.
- Also effective immediately, employers must pay temporary foreign workers the prevailing wage with no flexibility.
These changes will mean a lot of different things for temporary foreign workers and the employers who need to bring them to Canada! What are your opinions on the new changes? If you need help applying for a Labour Market Opinion or bringing foreign workers to Canada, please contact us.
The content and comments of this blog are not legal advise and and may not be accurate or complete. If you require legal advice, contact a licensed legal practitioner directly. If you post on this blog, you assume full responsibility for disclosing your identity to the public and VisaPlace nor its affiliates are not responsible for protecting your privacy nor your identity concerning your participation in our blog and you assume any risks in participating.
Spectacular experience. Completely smooth process, they were able to answer any of my questions any time and I had peace of mind throughout the application time, which was invaluable. I have recommended them to other friends looking for assistance with their applications, and will continue to do so. Worth every penny.
Here, I would like to say thank you so very much for your kind support on extension my visit visa. I am touched and beyond words, I am grateful and thankful for your always help and cooperation. Have a wonderful day.
Great law firm with great staff. My lawyer Rania did a great job for my Canadian work permit and my daughters study permit. You are great in your work. And my Para Legal officer Alicea, you are just amazing. They did not rest until my job was promptly and properly done. Always there to answer my calls, reply my emails promptly. She tried her best and the results were amazing. I recommend visa place if you need the best immigration job. Many thanks to Rania and Alicea.