US & Canada Immigration News

Toll-Free: 1-866-929-0991

Outside of North America: +1-416-410-7484

Fill out our immigration assessment form and we will get back to you within 24 hours to discuss your eligibility and immigration options.

Study in Canada! Record number of international students in Canada for 2012

Citizenship and Immigration Canada has announced that for the first time ever, Canada saw the number of international students studying on student visas pass the 100,000 mark in 2012.

In fact, in 2012 there were 104,777 international students in Canada, which is more than 6 per cent higher than the number of international students in Canada during 2011. International Students in Canada

International students in Canada increasing every year

Every year, the number of international students in Canada grows larger than the year before. There were only about 65,000 international students in Canada during 2004.

“Attracting and retaining the best and brightest immigrants from around the world is part of the government’s commitment to grow Canada’s economy and ensure long-term prosperity,” said Citizenship, Immigration and Multiculturalism Minister Jason Kenney. “The steady growth in numbers confirms that Canada remains a destination of choice for international students because of the remarkable educational opportunities that exist in our world class institutions.”

Studying in Canada is a fantastic opportunity for foreign students from around the world, but it is a huge benefit to Canada and Canadians as well.

For example, international students have generated more than $445 in government revenue, have created over 81,000 jobs and bring nearly $8 billion to the Canadian economy every year. The Canadian Experience Class is one reason studying in Canada is so attractive to international students, because it allows foreign students who have work experience to apply for permanent residency. The United States, where students pay much higher tuition costs than in Canada, is also considering implementing a similar program for international students.

Do you want to study in Canada? We can help you! Contact our immigration law firm today for assistance on seeing if you are qualified for and applying for a student visa or study permit.


About Michael Niren

Michael is a graduate of Osgoode Hall Law School in Toronto. He is a member of the Law Society of Upper Canada, the Canadian Bar Association’s Citizenship and Immigration Section and the Associate Member of the American Bar Association. Read more

Vote for Our Blog! Our blog has been nominated for Best Legal Blog of 2017 by The Expert Institute.

2 thoughts on “Study in Canada! Record number of international students in Canada for 2012

  1. Danial

    I want to study in Canada and after completion of my study i want to get pr.
    I got 6.5 overall score in my IELTS exam (S-7, R-6.5, R-6, L-7).
    I do not have any under graduation or diploma qualification, so is it ok to select a one year course in Canada to get PR after my studies?

    1. Michael Niren Post author

      Hello Danial

      Thanks for the question. IF you wish to study in Canada you first need to be accepted by a school and then you can apply for a study permit.
      Michael Niren


The content and comments of this blog are not legal advise and and may not be accurate or complete. If you require legal advice, contact a licensed legal practitioner directly. If you post on this blog, you assume full responsibility for disclosing your identity to the public and VisaPlace nor its affiliates are not responsible for protecting your privacy nor your identity concerning your participation in our blog and you assume any risks in participating.