False Promises for International Students With “Shady Consultants”

According to this CBC article, companies are offering international students “study and immigrate” packages without being legally authorized to offer immigration services. While they hire outside immigration representatives when needed, the promises behind their packages don’t actually lead to something real because they aren’t informing students properly. 

In other words, they’re promising things they can’t deliver.

For example, one foreign student from India was attending school in Ontario, but was under the impression he could switch to a school in Quebec, work in Quebec and obtain permanent residency within two years without having to speak French – a requirement for the Quebec skilled worker program.

The student complained to the Immigration Consultants of Canada Regulatory Council, a new body created by the government to regulate immigration consultants, but the complaint is still being reviewed.

While there are excellent ways an international student could go on to become a permanent resident, they have to do it right and should only trust their immigration process and future in Canada with an authorized immigration representative.

What is an authorized immigration representative?

Only an authorized immigration representative may offer immigration advice or services while charging fees. There are only three types of authorized immigration representatives: Immigration lawyers, immigration consultants who are members of the newly-created Immigration Consultants of Canada Regulatory Council and notaries in Quebec who are members of the Chambre des notaires du Quebec. Unfortunately, when companies begin using sub-agents for immigration services, things can become tricky for the person they are supposed to be helping.

If you want help obtaining a study permit in Canada or you are a foreign student in Canada who wants something more, like a work permit or to discuss your pathways to permanent residence, please contact our immigration law firm. We are licensed immigration attorneys and authorized immigration representatives who have the expertise to help you.


Michael Niren

About Michael Niren

Michael is a graduate of Osgoode Hall Law School in Toronto. He is a member of the Law Society of Upper Canada, the Canadian Bar Association’s Citizenship and Immigration Section and the Associate Member of the American Bar Association. Read more

The content and comments of this blog are not legal advise and and may not be accurate or complete. If you require legal advice, contact a licensed legal practitioner directly. If you post on this blog, you assume full responsibility for disclosing your identity to the public and VisaPlace nor its affiliates are not responsible for protecting your privacy nor your identity concerning your participation in our blog and you assume any risks in participating.