Start-Up Visa lures H1B applicants to Canada

Canada offers Start-Up Visa

The new Start-Up Visa is being touted as a way for immigrants with skills and ideas to immigrate to Canada, with Citizenship, Immigration and Multiculturalism Minister Jason Kenney recently visiting the United States to tell immigrant entrepreneurs that they should come to Canada instead.

The way that many entrepreneurs and people with special skills currently work in the United States is the H1B work visa, but applications for this visa are only accepted once per year and there is only a certain amount accepted at that time – and the quota fills up very fast. Canada, instead, offers the Start-Up Visa.

Start-Up Visa for Immigrant Entrepreneurs to Come to Canada

Canada recently introduced the Start-Up visa, which is for entrepreneurs who can present their ideas to investors. It’s sort of like the television show Dragon’s Den, where if the investors like the idea the applicant can become a permanent resident of Canada. Rewarding people for their skills and innovation with permanent residence is something that the United States doesn’t do as easily, and it can take longer.

Many technology companies are currently lobbying the United States government to make more H1B work visas available every year, and to make the process to permanent residency much easier, instead of having H1B visa holders and other visa holders constantly renewing their visas.

In fact, Citizenship and Immigration Canada put a billboard in the middle of Silicon Valley to advertise the new Start-Up visa and take a bit of a jab at the United States. It says, “H1-B problems? Pivot to Canada. New Start-Up Visa. Low Taxes”.

Do you want to immigrate to Canada under the Start-Up Visa and want to make sure it’s the right visa for you? Give our immigration law firm a call, we can help you!

Michael Niren

About Michael Niren

Michael is a graduate of Osgoode Hall Law School in Toronto. He is a member of the Law Society of Upper Canada, the Canadian Bar Association’s Citizenship and Immigration Section and the Associate Member of the American Bar Association. Read more

The content and comments of this blog are not legal advise and and may not be accurate or complete. If you require legal advice, contact a licensed legal practitioner directly. If you post on this blog, you assume full responsibility for disclosing your identity to the public and VisaPlace nor its affiliates are not responsible for protecting your privacy nor your identity concerning your participation in our blog and you assume any risks in participating.

Customer Reviews

Great law firm with great staff. My lawyer Rania did a great job for my Canadian work permit and my daughters study permit. You are great in your work. And my Para Legal officer Alicea, you are just amazing. They did not rest until my job was promptly and properly done. Always there to answer my calls, reply my emails promptly. She tried her best and the results were amazing. I recommend visa place if you need the best immigration job. Many thanks to Rania and Alicea.

Charity Musa2 months ago

Great firm on top of their game. Worked with us til the end to ensure my parents visa was approved and guided us along the way in a professional manor. Natalie is awesome. Majority of our communications were via email, but the responses were immediate. I would greatly recommend this firm. Thank you for all your hard work and help. My family and I do really appreciate it.

Daxesh Patel2 months ago

I am grateful for the legal services that I got from Sanaa and Alicea of Visa Place. I was impressed by their client centered approach. Their professionalism involved their hearts and heads to work on my case. I cannot compare the time they spent on it with the money I paid. All they wanted was a fine final document. I also liked their prompt communication. They are really passionate about what they do.

Theresie Nuwimanaa month ago