H1B Visa Problems? Come to Canada on a Start-Up Visa

The H1B visa is a specialty occupation visa, one that is lauded by technology companies who need to attract the best and brightest to the United States so they can stay ahead. Many of the people who come to the United States on these visas have special skills that aren’t found anywhere else – including in the United States – and their innovation helps the United States remain competitive in a global market. Start-Up Visa

There’s a problem, though. The visa has a cap, and applications for these visas are only accepted once per year. The cap tends to fill up in just a few days, leaving many people unable to bring their skills and innovation to the United States. Many technology companies are currently lobbying the government for a higher cap, and more of these visas to be given out annually.

Citizenship and Immigration Minister recently visited the United States, mentioning that if people were having H1B visa problems, Canada has a Start-Up visa they should consider instead.

Start Up Visa for entrepreneurs in Canada to lure skilled people from the United States

The Canadian government recently introduced the Start-Up visa, a special visa for entrepreneurs. In order to obtain the visa, applicants will present their ideas to qualified investors. If the investors like the idea and invest in the applicant, they can receive permanent resident status in Canada – making it a highly attractive option.
While the H1B work visa can eventually lead to permanent residence if the right criteria is met, the Start-Up visa is more straightforward with providing permanent residence in Canada.

The United States has more of a family-focused immigration system with less emphasis on economic immigrants or immigrants who can bring more skills and innovation to the country. Canada has many economic immigration streams.

Michael Niren

About Michael Niren

Michael is a graduate of Osgoode Hall Law School in Toronto. He is a member of the Law Society of Upper Canada, the Canadian Bar Association’s Citizenship and Immigration Section and the Associate Member of the American Bar Association. Read more

The content and comments of this blog are not legal advise and and may not be accurate or complete. If you require legal advice, contact a licensed legal practitioner directly. If you post on this blog, you assume full responsibility for disclosing your identity to the public and VisaPlace nor its affiliates are not responsible for protecting your privacy nor your identity concerning your participation in our blog and you assume any risks in participating.