How Does Spousal Sponsorship Work in Canada?

If you marry a Canadian citizen or permanent resident, they can apply to sponsor you for permanent residency. This is called spousal sponsorship in Canada, or Family Class immigration.

There are also ways that Canadian citizens or permanent residents can sponsor close family members to Canada and the Family Class immigration program is a great way for families to reunite in Canada to start a new life.

But spousal sponsorship is not easy, and the government of Canada has enacted a number of different laws to help combat marriage fraud for immigration purposes. Unfortunately, these new laws can end up making things more difficult for legitimate couples.

Spousal sponsorship requirements in Canada

For someone to sponsor their spouse to Canada, they must be legally married, common-law partners or conjugal partners. The sponsor must be over the age of 19, and needs to be a Canadian permanent resident or a Canadian citizen. This sponsor must also physically reside in Canada.

A major requirement of sponsoring anyone to Canada is that the sponsor be able to financially support the person they are sponsoring and their dependents. They will have to sign an agreement with the government of Canada to this effect, which is a legally binding sponsorship agreement.

Many spousal sponsorship applications are denied every year for a number of different reasons. However, there are avenues of appeal that these denied applicants can exercise.

If you want to sponsor your spouse, conjugal partner or common law partner to come to Canada, please speak with a licensed immigration lawyer for assistance. This is not an easy process, but with the right help you can have the best chance of success in reuniting your family in Canada. Call us at the number above!

Michael Niren

About Michael Niren

Michael is a graduate of Osgoode Hall Law School in Toronto. He is a member of the Law Society of Upper Canada, the Canadian Bar Association’s Citizenship and Immigration Section and the Associate Member of the American Bar Association. Read more

The content and comments of this blog are not legal advise and and may not be accurate or complete. If you require legal advice, contact a licensed legal practitioner directly. If you post on this blog, you assume full responsibility for disclosing your identity to the public and VisaPlace nor its affiliates are not responsible for protecting your privacy nor your identity concerning your participation in our blog and you assume any risks in participating.

Customer Reviews

Here’s my good advice; Lawyer up. ...and if your looking for a group of lawyers to help with your international affairs regarding visas and work permits; these professionals are top notch. I’ve had a great experience, they got the job done, and my job was very complicated. Rania Abboud, high five to you especially, you set up a great plan for success, replied to my questions very quickly, kept me informed and your very knowledgeable in your field. To everyone else at VisaPlace; Thank you as well. As a business owner myself I immediately recognized the way your team works so effectively! I wish you all the best of success. J.

Jason Mayerin the last week

The team at the Visa place as very thorough in the preparation of my application which I am sure made a difference. They guided the process well to a successful outcome. Would recommend them for sure.

Brad Davies2 weeks ago

I hired them for my study permit application! I had been denied twice and thanks to them the 3rd try was a success. Lisa Inspektor was my main contact. She is Very nice and polite. I strongly recommend you to go with them! The money you’re gonna spend is gonna be worth it

landry walker3 weeks ago