Immigration to the US when you marry a United States citizen

Are you a foreign national who has married a United States citizen? Do you want to immigrate to the Untied States as the spouse of a United States citizen or permanent resident? You can apply for permanent residency in the United States when your spouse applies to sponsor you for permanent residency of your own. Spousal Sponsorship to the US 3

These applications can be extremely rewarding, but they are also very complex and time consuming and as a result, many of these applications are denied every year. In order for the best results with your spousal sponsorship case, speak to a licensed immigration lawyer or immigration attorney regarding your best options. For example, there are multiple ways to apply for spousal sponsorship and one of these ways may suit you best.

Ways of applying for spousal sponsorship in the United States

How you apply to immigrate to the United States as a US citizen spouse depends on where you are located: inside the United States or outside of the United States.

Those outside of the United States can apply via the United States consulate through the Consular process. The applicant will apply for permanent residency while at the same time their spouse will apply to sponsor them, and they will remain outside of the United States through the process.

If the spouse to be sponsored is still in the United States on temporary status such as a visitor visa, a student visa or a work permit, they can apply for an Adjustment of Status which will change their status to permanent resident while their US citizen spouse applies to sponsor them. They need to remain in the United States for the duration of their application.

Do you want to immigrate to the United States using this method? We can help you! Please give us a call at the number above for help.

Michael Niren

About Michael Niren

Michael is a graduate of Osgoode Hall Law School in Toronto. He is a member of the Law Society of Upper Canada, the Canadian Bar Association’s Citizenship and Immigration Section and the Associate Member of the American Bar Association. Read more

The content and comments of this blog are not legal advise and and may not be accurate or complete. If you require legal advice, contact a licensed legal practitioner directly. If you post on this blog, you assume full responsibility for disclosing your identity to the public and VisaPlace nor its affiliates are not responsible for protecting your privacy nor your identity concerning your participation in our blog and you assume any risks in participating.