How To Get A Work Permit in Canada

Working in Canada is a very attractive option for many. But in order to work legally in Canada, you need to get a work permit or a work visa. There are different ways to get a work permit in Canada, depending on where you currently live. How to Get a Work Permit in Canada

Work Permit in Canada for Americans and Mexicans

Under NAFTA (the North American Free Trade Agreement) it’s much easier for Americans and Mexicans to get a work permit in Canada. In order to get a work permit in Canada under NAFTA, one needs to have a job offer from a Canadian company in a specific field.

People who aren’t American or Mexican can also obtain work permits in Canada. For example, if you are a skilled worker you can immigrate to Canada under the Skilled Worker category. For more information, click here.

How to get a work permit in Canada

In most cases, those who want to get a work permit in Canada will have to obtain a LMO, or labour market opinion, from Service Canada. This LMO ensures there are no qualified Canadians or permanent residents that could fill the job you are applying for. After this letter is obtained, you can then apply for a Canadian work permit or work visa. Some foreign workers do not have to apply for an LMO as there are some exemptions, such as foreign students that hold a Canadian study permit. For more information, click here.

If you are looking for more information on how to get a work permit in Canada, contact us at the form on the right.

Michael Niren

About Michael Niren

Michael is a graduate of Osgoode Hall Law School in Toronto. He is a member of the Law Society of Upper Canada, the Canadian Bar Association’s Citizenship and Immigration Section and the Associate Member of the American Bar Association. Read more

  • canada work visa

    canada work visa depends on where the person currently live and according to that person get the visa.

The content and comments of this blog are not legal advise and and may not be accurate or complete. If you require legal advice, contact a licensed legal practitioner directly. If you post on this blog, you assume full responsibility for disclosing your identity to the public and VisaPlace nor its affiliates are not responsible for protecting your privacy nor your identity concerning your participation in our blog and you assume any risks in participating.

Customer Reviews

Visa place is the best!!! I use Yasmeen to do paperwork work for my mom to come to Canada and she was amazing. Very helpful and always reply to your email promptly. My experience was awesome everything was a success and I will recommend VISA PLACE to anyone who want quick and successful results. Thank to all the team at Visa Place but a special thank you to Yasmeen again.

Donnica Waugh2 weeks ago

Working with the team as VisaPlace and their trusted partners was an incredibly wonderful experience! The team is extremely knowledgeable, responsive and has the partnerships to get the job done in an efficient and timely manner. Will definitely call them again should I have more visa requirements, issues or questions!!

P Eyre2 weeks ago

Spectacular experience. Completely smooth process, they were able to answer any of my questions any time and I had peace of mind throughout the application time, which was invaluable. I have recommended them to other friends looking for assistance with their applications, and will continue to do so. Worth every penny.

Faith Cheong4 weeks ago