Requirements before Applying for a US Temporary Visitor Visa

If you are not a lawful permanent resident or a citizen of the United States and you like to visit the US, you can choose from the different types of visas available for temporary visitors. Canadians and other citizens from countries covered by Visa Waiver program can enter into the US without a visa, provided that they should meet other requirements. The purpose of your travel will ascertain what type of visa is the appropriate for you.

Do you want to spend a relaxing moment in Liberty Island? Check the type of visa you need in order to travel to the United States.

To better process your application, you must know what type of visa is suitable for your travel and the procedures involved in obtaining it. Whether you like to know how you can obtain a US Visitor’s Visa, how to get to the United States if you were denied a US visa, or how you can appeal an immigration decision, a licensed immigration consultant can always help you get an answer to your questions and even doubts.

There are several types of nonimmigrant visas for temporary visitors. If you are not sure of which of these visas is appropriate for your travel, or if you find the process too technical, you may consult an immigration lawyer who can guide you on the matter.

The list of Temporary Visitors Visa are categorized according to the prerequisite to applying for a visa. 

USCIS Requirement – types of visas that require an approval of a petition or application  from  DHS, and U.S. Citizenship and Immigration Services (USCIS) before applying for a visa.

DOL Requirement a prospective US employer must first get a copy of foreign labor certification from the US Department of Labor before filing the petition with the USCIS.

SEVIS Requirement – this requires a program approval involved in the Student and Exchange Visitor Information System (SEVIS).

The following visas require USCIS:

  • O Visa – Foreign nationals with extraordinary ability in Arts, Sciences, Education, Business or Athletics.
  • L Visa – Intra-company transferees
  • Q Visa – International cultural exchange visitors
  • P Visa – Performing athletes, artists, entertainers
  • R Visa – Religious workers
  • H-2A – Temporary agricultural workers (requires DOL certification also)
  • H-2B – Temporary workers performing other services or labor of a temporary or seasonal nature. ( requires DOL also)
  • H-3 – Training in a program not primarily for employment
  • U Visa – Victims of Criminal Activity

The following types of visa require DOL:

  • E-3 Visa – Australian professional specialty
  • H-1B1 (Chile) and H-1b1 (Singapore) – Professionals under the Free Trade Agreement (FTA): US-Chile and US-Singapore
  • H-1B – Specialty occupations in fields requiring highly specialized knowledge ( requires USCIS also)
  • H-2A – Temporary agricultural workers (requires USCIS also)
  • H-2B – Temporary workers performing other services or labor of a temporary or seasonal nature. (requires USCIS also)

These types of visa require SEVIS:

  • J Visa – Au pairs (exchange visitor program)
  • J Visa – Exchange visitors
  • J, H-1B Visas – Physician
  • J Visa – Professor, scholar, teacher (exchange visitor program)
  • F, M Visas –  academic or vocational students

In the following types of visa, no requirements are needed prior to filing an application:

  • B-1 Visa – Athletes, amateur & professional (compete for prize money only)
  • BCC Visa – Border Crossing Card (Mexico)
  • B-1 Visa – Business visitors
  • D Visa – Members of the crew
  • A Visa – Diplomats and foreign government officials
  • B-1 Visa – Domestic employees or nanny, accompanying a foreign nationalemployer
  • G1-G5, NATO – Employees of a designated international organization, and NATO
  • A-2, NATO1-6 – Foreign military personnel stationed in the U.S.
  • B-2 – Visitors for medical treatment
  • I Visa – Media, Journalists
  • Tn , TD – NAFTA professional workers from Mexico and Canada. Canadian NAFTA Professional workers are not required to have a visa.
  • B-2 Visa – Tourists, Vacation, pleasure visitors
  • E Visa – Treaty traders/treaty investors
  • C Visa – Transiting the United States

The list of visas are not inclusive of all other requirements. A visa applicant must meet the minimum eligibility requirement and other qualifying circumstances of a certain type of visa. If after reviewing the list, you are not yet sure of what kind of visa to apply for, you may need an immigration attorney to better increase your chance of acquiring a US visa for your travel.

A contact form on the right is provided for your convenience so that you may message us anytime you request our help on any U.S. or Canadian immigration matters. If you feel more comfortable with speaking to one of our immigration lawyers who has been in the field for over 15 years, you may refer to the contact information here.

Michael Niren

About Michael Niren

Michael is a graduate of Osgoode Hall Law School in Toronto. He is a member of the Law Society of Upper Canada, the Canadian Bar Association’s Citizenship and Immigration Section and the Associate Member of the American Bar Association. Read more

The content and comments of this blog are not legal advise and and may not be accurate or complete. If you require legal advice, contact a licensed legal practitioner directly. If you post on this blog, you assume full responsibility for disclosing your identity to the public and VisaPlace nor its affiliates are not responsible for protecting your privacy nor your identity concerning your participation in our blog and you assume any risks in participating.

Customer Reviews

Great law firm with great staff. My lawyer Rania did a great job for my Canadian work permit and my daughters study permit. You are great in your work. And my Para Legal officer Alicea, you are just amazing. They did not rest until my job was promptly and properly done. Always there to answer my calls, reply my emails promptly. She tried her best and the results were amazing. I recommend visa place if you need the best immigration job. Many thanks to Rania and Alicea.

Charity Musa2 months ago

Great firm on top of their game. Worked with us til the end to ensure my parents visa was approved and guided us along the way in a professional manor. Natalie is awesome. Majority of our communications were via email, but the responses were immediate. I would greatly recommend this firm. Thank you for all your hard work and help. My family and I do really appreciate it.

Daxesh Patel2 months ago

I am grateful for the legal services that I got from Sanaa and Alicea of Visa Place. I was impressed by their client centered approach. Their professionalism involved their hearts and heads to work on my case. I cannot compare the time they spent on it with the money I paid. All they wanted was a fine final document. I also liked their prompt communication. They are really passionate about what they do.

Theresie Nuwimanaa month ago