Canadian Skilled Worker Program Job List

Skilled workers who want to apply for permanent residency in Canada can consider applying for the Federal Skilled Worker Program. Please note that this program is currently on hold, but will soon be re-opening in the new year

Someone who is proficient in English or French, has a high level of education or who has work experience in a certain occupation can certainly qualify for the Federal Skilled Worker Program, which is based on a points system. You are awarded points for meeting certain criteria (such as language abilities or education levels), and you need a certain amount of points to qualify.

However, that isn’t the only requirement for the Federal Skilled Worker Program. You need to also make sure that your work experience falls into a certain category, as found on the NOC job list, which is sometimes referred to as the Skilled Worker Program Job List.

What is the Skilled Worker Program Job List?

The NOC, or National Occupation Classification, assigns a numbered code to every kind of job available. This is so that all jobs have the same specific definition and requirements anywhere in the country, which helps avoid confusion between job providers and job seekers. It is also used for research purposes, and of course – immigration purposes like defining the work experience necessary for the Federal Skilled Worker Program.

Federal Skilled Workers must have work experience in skill type 0, skill level A or skill level B occupations, which are managerial occupations, technical occupations, skilled trades and professional occupations.

Are you interested in immigrating to Canada under the Federal Skilled Worker Program? As the program is due to re-open as soon as January, so make sure you’re as prepared as possible for your application by speaking with a licensed immigration lawyer.

Update on the New Federal Skilled Worker Program

CIC just announced that changes will be made to the program effective May 4, 2013. Here are the details of the changes to the FSW program. 

Michael Niren

About Michael Niren

Michael is a graduate of Osgoode Hall Law School in Toronto. He is a member of the Law Society of Upper Canada, the Canadian Bar Association’s Citizenship and Immigration Section and the Associate Member of the American Bar Association. Read more

The content and comments of this blog are not legal advise and and may not be accurate or complete. If you require legal advice, contact a licensed legal practitioner directly. If you post on this blog, you assume full responsibility for disclosing your identity to the public and VisaPlace nor its affiliates are not responsible for protecting your privacy nor your identity concerning your participation in our blog and you assume any risks in participating.