I need to renew my PR card in Canada

While not yet Canadian citizens, permanent residents enjoy many similar benefits and are able to live and work in Canada wherever they choose. However, one of the drawbacks to not yet becoming a Canadian citizen is that you have to renew your permanent resident card every five years before it expires. In addition, you must be physically present in Canada at the time you renew it and you must ensure you have met the residency obligation for maintaining your permanent residency status, which is being in Canada for two years out of the last five. How to renew your permanent resident card 5

You should apply to renew your permanent resident card at least six months before the expiry date indicated on your card.

How to renew your permanent resident card in Canada

Step 1: Make an application to renew your permanent resident card using the proper immigration application. Do not leave any blank spaces on the application form, instead writing “not applicable” if something doesn’t apply to you.

Step 2: Use the document checklist to learn all of the supporting documentation that is required to be included in your application. This will ensure that your application is processed properly, as only a complete application will be processed.

Step 3: Pay the fee for processing your permanent resident card renewal application and be sure to include the receipt for this fee in your supporting documentation.

Step 4: Speak with a licensed immigration lawyer before submitting your application to renew your permanent resident card, particularly if you are facing difficulties like having an expired card or you are concerned about not having met the residency requirement.

Need to renew your permanent resident card? Give us a call! We’re here to help you with all of your permanent resident card renewal needs.

Michael Niren

About Michael Niren

Michael is a graduate of Osgoode Hall Law School in Toronto. He is a member of the Law Society of Upper Canada, the Canadian Bar Association’s Citizenship and Immigration Section and the Associate Member of the American Bar Association. Read more

The content and comments of this blog are not legal advise and and may not be accurate or complete. If you require legal advice, contact a licensed legal practitioner directly. If you post on this blog, you assume full responsibility for disclosing your identity to the public and VisaPlace nor its affiliates are not responsible for protecting your privacy nor your identity concerning your participation in our blog and you assume any risks in participating.