How to Renew Your PR Card in Canada

Renewing your permanent resident card, or PR card, is something that Canadian permanent residents must do every five years as their permanent resident cards expire. Maintaining a valid permanent resident card is a requirement of being a permanent resident in Canada, because it offers proof of your permanent resident status while also allowing permanent residents to leave and re-enter Canada, traveling as they please. Renew permanent resident card

However, if you allow your permanent resident card to expire it can post a significant amount of problems for you. You won’t be able to travel, and it may be more difficult for you to renew your permanent resident card later on.

How to renew your permanent resident card in Canada

1. To renew your permanent resident card you will need to ensure that you fill out the proper forms to renew your card. It is wise to apply to renew your application at least six months before it expires.

2. Your application form will include a document checklist, which is a list of documents that are required for your application. This list includes all kinds of documents, including ones that show evidence you’ve spent the required amount of time living in Canada.

3. There are other documents you will have to include in your application to renew your permanent resident card, including passport photos and the receipt for your processing fee, which costs $50.

4. Meet with a licensed immigration lawyer to discuss your application. This will ensure that your application and the supporting documents are all in proper order and formatted correctly. This can ensure that your application is ready for processing.

Do you have concerns about your permanent resident card application? Get it right, the first time! We can help you with your permanent resident card renewal application.

Michael Niren

About Michael Niren

Michael is a graduate of Osgoode Hall Law School in Toronto. He is a member of the Law Society of Upper Canada, the Canadian Bar Association’s Citizenship and Immigration Section and the Associate Member of the American Bar Association. Read more

The content and comments of this blog are not legal advise and and may not be accurate or complete. If you require legal advice, contact a licensed legal practitioner directly. If you post on this blog, you assume full responsibility for disclosing your identity to the public and VisaPlace nor its affiliates are not responsible for protecting your privacy nor your identity concerning your participation in our blog and you assume any risks in participating.