I need to renew my permanent resident card in Canada

Permanent residents of Canada must renew their permanent resident card every five years before it expires. Unfortunately the application process for renewing your permanent resident card is much more complicated than renewing other forms of government identification such as a driver’s license. There are several requirements you must meet and more supporting documentation included with these applications than in other types of applications. How to renew your permanent resident card 2

Citizenship and Immigration Canada recommends that you apply to renew your permanent resident card at least six months before it expires, as applications can take just over three months to process.

How to renew your permanent resident card in Canada

In order to renew your permanent resident card, you must by physically present in Canada and you need to have met the residency requirement, which is living In Canada for two years out of the last five to maintain permanent residency status.

Step 1: Make an application to renew your permanent resident card. This application form must be filled out completely, with no blank spaces.

Step 2: Gather up all of the supporting documents necessary for your permanent residency card renewal based on the document checklist that comes with your application. If you leave one of these documents out, your application could be denied.

Step 3: Review your application package (your application form and supporting documents) with a licensed immigration lawyer to ensure nothing has been missed and that your application is ready for processing.

Step 4: Pay the fee for your application’s processing. You can include the receipt from the fee in with your supporting documents.

Step 5: Submit your application. It’s recommended you submit it via courier and retain a copy of the courier slip for your records.

Need help? Give us a call!

Michael Niren

About Michael Niren

Michael is a graduate of Osgoode Hall Law School in Toronto. He is a member of the Law Society of Upper Canada, the Canadian Bar Association’s Citizenship and Immigration Section and the Associate Member of the American Bar Association. Read more

The content and comments of this blog are not legal advise and and may not be accurate or complete. If you require legal advice, contact a licensed legal practitioner directly. If you post on this blog, you assume full responsibility for disclosing your identity to the public and VisaPlace nor its affiliates are not responsible for protecting your privacy nor your identity concerning your participation in our blog and you assume any risks in participating.

Customer Reviews

Visa place is the best!!! I use Yasmeen to do paperwork work for my mom to come to Canada and she was amazing. Very helpful and always reply to your email promptly. My experience was awesome everything was a success and I will recommend VISA PLACE to anyone who want quick and successful results. Thank to all the team at Visa Place but a special thank you to Yasmeen again.

Donnica Waugha week ago

Working with the team as VisaPlace and their trusted partners was an incredibly wonderful experience! The team is extremely knowledgeable, responsive and has the partnerships to get the job done in an efficient and timely manner. Will definitely call them again should I have more visa requirements, issues or questions!!

P Eyrea week ago

Spectacular experience. Completely smooth process, they were able to answer any of my questions any time and I had peace of mind throughout the application time, which was invaluable. I have recommended them to other friends looking for assistance with their applications, and will continue to do so. Worth every penny.

Faith Cheong3 weeks ago