How to Renew Your Permanent Residency Card

Are you a Canadian permanent resident? You have to renew your permanent resident card before it expires. Citizenship and Immigration Canada recommends that you apply to renew your card at least six months before it is due to expire, and it may take up to three months for it to be completely processed. Renew permanent resident card

Your permanent resident card is a very important document, and you need to make sure that you follow the instructions exactly when it comes time to renew your card. This will help you avoid delays in the processing, or even a denial.

What is needed to renew your permanent residency card?

1. Obtain a permanent resident card renewal application form. This is the same application form you would use to apply for your permanent resident card, except you need to indicate that you are applying for a renewal using the appropriate area on the forms.

2. Review the document checklist, which comes with the application forms for renewing your permanent resident card. You must include all of the required documents, and these documents must be in the format that is specified on the form.

3. Speak with a licensed immigration lawyer about your application. They will need to review your application and your supporting documents to ensure that your application is ready for processing.

4. Submit your application. It is a good idea to retain a copy of the courier slip so that you have proof of when and how you sent in your application package if you need it.

Renewing your permanent resident card is not always a simple procedure. You may have extenuating circumstances that require the attention and expertise of a licensed immigration lawyer, including having had your permanent resident card already expire, requiring your new permanent resident card sooner, or you may have not met the residency requirement. Whatever the case, please contact our immigration law firm for assistance!

Michael Niren

About Michael Niren

Michael is a graduate of Osgoode Hall Law School in Toronto. He is a member of the Law Society of Upper Canada, the Canadian Bar Association’s Citizenship and Immigration Section and the Associate Member of the American Bar Association. Read more

  • Mariam

    Can know you guys working on my appliaction

    • Hello Mariam

      Thank you for your question. We can assist you with your PR Card case. You can contact us at or call us in Toronto at 416 410 7484
      Michael Niren

The content and comments of this blog are not legal advise and and may not be accurate or complete. If you require legal advice, contact a licensed legal practitioner directly. If you post on this blog, you assume full responsibility for disclosing your identity to the public and VisaPlace nor its affiliates are not responsible for protecting your privacy nor your identity concerning your participation in our blog and you assume any risks in participating.

Customer Reviews

Great law firm with great staff. My lawyer Rania did a great job for my Canadian work permit and my daughters study permit. You are great in your work. And my Para Legal officer Alicea, you are just amazing. They did not rest until my job was promptly and properly done. Always there to answer my calls, reply my emails promptly. She tried her best and the results were amazing. I recommend visa place if you need the best immigration job. Many thanks to Rania and Alicea.

Charity Musa2 months ago

Great firm on top of their game. Worked with us til the end to ensure my parents visa was approved and guided us along the way in a professional manor. Natalie is awesome. Majority of our communications were via email, but the responses were immediate. I would greatly recommend this firm. Thank you for all your hard work and help. My family and I do really appreciate it.

Daxesh Patel2 months ago

I am grateful for the legal services that I got from Sanaa and Alicea of Visa Place. I was impressed by their client centered approach. Their professionalism involved their hearts and heads to work on my case. I cannot compare the time they spent on it with the money I paid. All they wanted was a fine final document. I also liked their prompt communication. They are really passionate about what they do.

Theresie Nuwimanaa month ago