Can I Renew A Canadian PR Card Before It Expires?


We are often asked how long someone who is a permanent resident of Canada should wait before they renew their PR card, or permanent resident card. If you are a permanent resident and your permanent resident card is going to expire soon, you need to act fast and renew it. There is no limit on how early you can renew your permanent resident card, but permanent resident card processing times can vary.

Renewing A Canadian PR Card Before It Expires

As of March 27, 2013, it is taking approximately 73 calendar days to process renewals, replacement cards and initial cards for existing permanent residents in Canada.

How to Renew Your Permanent Resident Card in Canada

1. Make an application to renew your permanent resident card using the appropriate immigration form.

2. Ensure that you have met the residency requirement for maintaining your permanent residency status in Canada.

3. Gather the supporting documentation necessary for your application, which includes various identity documents and proof that you have met the residency requirement.

4. Have your permanent residency card renewal application reviewed by a licensed immigration lawyer to ensure that it is ready for processing by a visa officer.

5. Mail your application to renew your permanent resident card, or courier it. If you courier it, retain a photocopy of the courier slip.

Do You Need to Renew A Canadian PR Card Before It Expires?

If you have not met the residency obligation to maintain your permanent resident status in Canada, or you have questions about the application process, please contact for assistance. We are available to help you with your application to ensure that you have not made any mistakes or omissions that could negatively effect the outcome of your application, including the result of a processing delay or a denial of your application. Contact us to book a consultation.

Michael Niren

About Michael Niren

Michael is a graduate of Osgoode Hall Law School in Toronto. He is a member of the Law Society of Upper Canada, the Canadian Bar Association’s Citizenship and Immigration Section and the Associate Member of the American Bar Association. Read more

The content and comments of this blog are not legal advise and and may not be accurate or complete. If you require legal advice, contact a licensed legal practitioner directly. If you post on this blog, you assume full responsibility for disclosing your identity to the public and VisaPlace nor its affiliates are not responsible for protecting your privacy nor your identity concerning your participation in our blog and you assume any risks in participating.

Customer Reviews

Here’s my good advice; Lawyer up. ...and if your looking for a group of lawyers to help with your international affairs regarding visas and work permits; these professionals are top notch. I’ve had a great experience, they got the job done, and my job was very complicated. Rania Abboud, high five to you especially, you set up a great plan for success, replied to my questions very quickly, kept me informed and your very knowledgeable in your field. To everyone else at VisaPlace; Thank you as well. As a business owner myself I immediately recognized the way your team works so effectively! I wish you all the best of success. J.

Jason Mayerin the last week

The team at the Visa place as very thorough in the preparation of my application which I am sure made a difference. They guided the process well to a successful outcome. Would recommend them for sure.

Brad Davies2 weeks ago

I hired them for my study permit application! I had been denied twice and thanks to them the 3rd try was a success. Lisa Inspektor was my main contact. She is Very nice and polite. I strongly recommend you to go with them! The money you’re gonna spend is gonna be worth it

landry walker3 weeks ago