My permanent resident card has expired outside of Canada

If you are a permanent resident of Canada, your permanent resident card is an important document that allows you to re-enter Canada should you leave and go abroad. All permanent resident cards have expiry dates, and they must be renewed accordingly. The catch is, you need to be in Canada when you do this. PR Card Renewal

Problems can arise when a permanent resident is abroad and their permanent resident card (PR card) expires on them. This means they cannot use their card to get back into Canada, and they cannot renew their card because they’re not in Canada.

So what can you do? Don’t panic! This happens often and there is an option available to you.

When your permanent resident card expires outside of Canada

When your permanent resident card has expired outside of Canada, you will need to go to your closest Canadian consulate and apply for a travel document. This travel document is what will allow you to return to Canada and renew your card in the usual manner.

Applying for a travel document as a permanent resident will still require that you can show proof of your identity and proof that you have met the residency requirement for maintaining permanent residence in Canada – this means you need to have lived in Canada (been physically present) for two years of the last five. You must be able to prove this in order to obtain your travel document.

If you cannot prove that you have met the residency requirement or you need assistance in obtaining a travel document and renewing your card, please speak to a licensed immigration lawyer as soon as possible. We are available to help you with renewing your permanent resident card, even in cases where you may be facing difficulties.

Michael Niren

About Michael Niren

Michael is a graduate of Osgoode Hall Law School in Toronto. He is a member of the Law Society of Upper Canada, the Canadian Bar Association’s Citizenship and Immigration Section and the Associate Member of the American Bar Association. Read more

  • Iman

    What if I need to leave Canada and my permanent resident card is expired.

  • Jerome

    I was asked for supporting documents on my application for a Permanent Resident Travel Visa. I have been away from Canada day after we officially landed for 2 1/2 years, so I still have 6 more months to go back and still maintain my residency obligation. Why am I being asked of the supporting documents and what kind of documents should I present?

The content and comments of this blog are not legal advise and and may not be accurate or complete. If you require legal advice, contact a licensed legal practitioner directly. If you post on this blog, you assume full responsibility for disclosing your identity to the public and VisaPlace nor its affiliates are not responsible for protecting your privacy nor your identity concerning your participation in our blog and you assume any risks in participating.