Get Answers to Your Visa Questions! Call 1.866.929.0991

US & Canada Immigration News

Toll-Free: 1-866-929-0991

Outside of North America: +1-416-410-7484

Fill out our immigration assessment form and we will get back to you within 24 hours to discuss your eligibility and immigration options.

What happens if your Canadian Permanent Residency Card expires?

Canada’s immigration department recommends that permanent residents apply to renew their permanent resident cards about six months before they are set to expire, which happens every five years. Permanent resident card expired

Renewing your permanent resident card is an important part of maintaining your permanent residence status in Canada, but what happens if you allow your permanent resident card to expire? An expired permanent resident card does not mean that you are no longer a permanent resident, but it can present some problems.

Problems that can occur if you don’t renew your permanent resident card

Your permanent resident card serves as your proof that you are a permanent resident of Canada. If you allow it to expire, you will not be able to prove your permanent resident status properly and worse, you won’t be able to re-enter Canada if you travel abroad. While you may intend to get everything in order before you leave the country, there may be unexpected situations that arise where you won’t have time to renew your card before you have to leave.

If you find yourself outside of Canada with an expired permanent resident card, or even a permanent resident card that has expired while outside of Canada, you will have to go through the process of obtaining a travel document to return to Canada.

It is important to renew your permanent resident card so that you can demonstrate having met the residency requirement, which is necessary for you to retain your permanent residency status.

If you aren’t sure whether or not you’ve met the residency requirement, speak with a licensed immigration lawyer. We can help you!

It's only fair to share...Share on FacebookShare on Google+Tweet about this on TwitterShare on LinkedIn

About Michael Niren

Michael is a graduate of Osgoode Hall Law School in Toronto. He is a member of the Law Society of Upper Canada, the Canadian Bar Association’s Citizenship and Immigration Section and the Associate Member of the American Bar Association. Read more

3 thoughts on “What happens if your Canadian Permanent Residency Card expires?

  1. Immigration Lawyers

    Hi Sam,
    Thank you for your inquiry, I’m glad you contacted us! There is a possibility for your friend to obtain PR again after having an expired PR. I do need to take a closer look at her case. Hiring an immigration lawyer will help you get answers to all of your questions plus it will also increase the chance of approval of the visa you are inquiring. Please, have her complete this form for me it is just a quick and easy way for me to learn more details about her and her situation so that I will be able to advise you accurately and determine the best avenue for us to take to give her the best legal advice.

    The above response is for informational purposes only and does not form a lawyer-client relationship nor should it be construed to be legal advice.

  2. A.C.

    Dear Colleague,

    I am living at Montreal, Qc, Canada.
    My PR card is expired 4 months ago and still waiting the the new PR card(I applied in sept 2015 for new one).
    Actually, I have an application to work at Micgill university, and they asked me for a proof of my status as a resident permanent at Canada.

    Could please help me to figure out how I can get a proof that I am a resident permanent in Canada !


    1. Muga Rajbhandari

      Hello. You can contact CIC and ask them for a letter of identification that you can use for the university.
      Regards, Muga


Leave a Comment:

Your email address will not be published.


The content and comments of this blog are not legal advise and and may not be accurate or complete. If you require legal advice, contact a licensed legal practitioner directly. If you post on this blog, you assume full responsibility for disclosing your identity to the public and VisaPlace nor its affiliates are not responsible for protecting your privacy nor your identity concerning your participation in our blog and you assume any risks in participating.