One of the most common questions we receive at our immigration law firm is how to renew your PR Card if you have been outside of Canada too long. This is also known as not being able to meet the residency requirements to renew your PR Card.

About PR Card Renewal and Residency Obligation

In order to maintain permanent residency status in Canada, you will need to remain physically in Canada for two years (or 730 days) out of every five year period. You will also need to prove that you have been in Canada during this time when it comes time to renew your PR Card – usually by providing information about your travel during the five years or proof of your address and employment records for the time period.

If you cannot prove you’ve been in Canada for two years during the five year period, your PR Card renewal application could be denied.

What If You Don’t Meet the Residency Requirement?

There are many reasons why someone would not be able to meet the residency requirement to renew their PR Card. You may have had unexpected situations arise and had to extend your travel outside of Canada or had to leave Canada suddenly without knowing when you’d be able to come back. In many of these cases, you could have a valid argument as to why you haven’t been able to meet the residency requirement.

You may be able to make humanitarian and compassionate arguments as to why you haven’t been able to meet the residency requirement and were outside of Canada too long. However, it is important that you act quickly. A licensed immigration lawyer can be your greatest ally, as you will have to make comprehensive and effective arguments as to why you have had to remain outside of Canada as long as you have.

We Can Help With Your PR Card Renewal and/or Residency Obligation

If you have been outside of Canada too long and need to renew your PR Card, contact one of our licensed immigration lawyers as soon as possible, we’d love to help!

The VisaPlace Group of Lawyers (VPGs) and their staff are all independent, licensed practitioners who understand how important it is for to you to achieve your immigration goals and have been trained to follow best practices and procedures to maximize your chances of success!

About Michael Niren

Michael is a graduate of Osgoode Hall Law School in Toronto. He is a member of the Law Society of Upper Canada, the Canadian Bar Association’s Citizenship and Immigration Section and the Associate Member of the American Bar Association. Read more

The content and comments of this blog are not legal advise and and may not be accurate or complete. If you require legal advice, contact a licensed legal practitioner directly. If you post on this blog, you assume full responsibility for disclosing your identity to the public and VisaPlace nor its affiliates are not responsible for protecting your privacy nor your identity concerning your participation in our blog and you assume any risks in participating.