How to Renew a PR Card With Citizenship and Immigration Canada

How to Renew A PR Card With Citizenship and Immigration Canada

PR cards in Canada are valid for five years, upon which they expire and will need to be renewed if you intend to travel outside of Canada.

Here is how to renew a PR CardPR Card Renewal Application

1. Make an application for a PR card renewal, which is to be submitted to Citizenship and Immigration Canada. This application for PR card renewal must be filled out completely and accurately so no information is missed that might result in your PR card renewal application being denied. The application will also ask you about your employment history, address and travel outside of Canada, which is used to determine if you meet the requirements of permanent residency in Canada.

2. Submit the application and wait for it to be processed. It can take weeks or even months for your PR card renewal application to be processed, which is why it is especially important that you submit the application as soon as you know your PR card is expiring soon. Citizenship and Immigration Canada recommends applying for a PR card renewal no less than two months before your current card is set to expire.

3. If you meet the residency requirements and everything is in order, you’ll soon receive a letter that tells you where to pick up your new PR card. You will typically have 180 days to do so.

What if my PR card renewal is denied by Citizenship and Immigration Canada?

Your PR card renewal can be denied for a number of reasons, such as not meeting the residency requirements or not including the proper supporting documentation with your application for PR card renewal. If your PR card renewal is denied, you still have options. For example, you may be able to have your application re-processed once you can provide the proper documentation, or you can formally request an exemption under humanitarian and compassionate grounds.

If you need help with your PR card renewal application or your application has been denied, contact us at the form on the right and we would be happy to help!

Michael Niren

About Michael Niren

Michael is a graduate of Osgoode Hall Law School in Toronto. He is a member of the Law Society of Upper Canada, the Canadian Bar Association’s Citizenship and Immigration Section and the Associate Member of the American Bar Association. Read more

  • muhammed flaifil

    I arrived in Canada in Feb 2002 , but had to leave for familly reasons in June 2002. I did not pick up my PR card, and ever since did not go back to Canada. Is it possible for me to submit a letter explaining my situation, and get the PR card again. it has been 11 years know. I am know married and my financial situation has improved and I would love to come back to Canada.

    • Hello Muhammed
      11 years is a long time! It is unlikely you could get your PR status back after such a long absence. You may want to consider re-applying for Canadian PR as a new applicant. However, we can see if it is possible to get your PR status back. You can contact us at for more information

The content and comments of this blog are not legal advise and and may not be accurate or complete. If you require legal advice, contact a licensed legal practitioner directly. If you post on this blog, you assume full responsibility for disclosing your identity to the public and VisaPlace nor its affiliates are not responsible for protecting your privacy nor your identity concerning your participation in our blog and you assume any risks in participating.

Customer Reviews

Spectacular experience. Completely smooth process, they were able to answer any of my questions any time and I had peace of mind throughout the application time, which was invaluable. I have recommended them to other friends looking for assistance with their applications, and will continue to do so. Worth every penny.

Faith Cheongin the last week

Here, I would like to say thank you so very much for your kind support on extension my visit visa. I am touched and beyond words, I am grateful and thankful for your always help and cooperation. Have a wonderful day.

Setareh Rasaeiin the last week

Great law firm with great staff. My lawyer Rania did a great job for my Canadian work permit and my daughters study permit. You are great in your work. And my Para Legal officer Alicea, you are just amazing. They did not rest until my job was promptly and properly done. Always there to answer my calls, reply my emails promptly. She tried her best and the results were amazing. I recommend visa place if you need the best immigration job. Many thanks to Rania and Alicea.

Charity Musa2 months ago