How to Renew a PR Card

If you have a permanent resident card in Canada, you should know that it needs to be renewed every five years. There is an expiry date on the card, and we recommend applying to renew your permanent resident card (PR card) about three months before it is due to expire whenever possible. 

In order to renew your permanent resident card, you will make an application for a permanent resident card all over again. There is a section on the application for a permanent resident card application that the application is for a renewal, and you can indicate that on the form.

The same identity documents and supporting documentation that you included with your initial permanent resident application will be included with your renewal application. There is a document checklist that comes with the application package, so make sure you read it carefully and do not miss any pieces of information.
You must also indicate on your application that you’ve met the residency requirement, or residency obligation for permanent resident status in Canada. This means that you’ve lived in Canada for two of the last five years and can back it up with physical proof.

What if I missed the residency requirement?

The residency requirement is a very important component of your permanent resident card renewal application. After all, it is one of the major requirements for maintaining your permanent resident status in Canada. If you don’t meet the residency requirement, there is a chance you could lose your permanent resident status and face deportation from Canada. Because of the seriousness of this situation, you should contact a licensed immigration lawyer as soon as possible – there is a chance, if you have a valid reason for missing the requirement, that we can help you.

Your permanent resident card renewal application is in good hands if you assess it with us before submitting it. While this might only be your first or second time renewing your permanent resident card in Canada, we have helped process thousands of these applications and we can assist you, too. Make sure you get your application right the first time! Contact us using the form on the right or call us at the number above.

Michael Niren

About Michael Niren

Michael is a graduate of Osgoode Hall Law School in Toronto. He is a member of the Law Society of Upper Canada, the Canadian Bar Association’s Citizenship and Immigration Section and the Associate Member of the American Bar Association. Read more

  • Mohammad

    My PR is about to expire and I have not fulfill the required residency in Canada. Is there any way to renew it? I couldn’t stay a lot in Canada due my business which I have in UAE.

    • Vahe Mirzoyan

      Thank you for writing to us Mohammad. Yes there is a way to renew your PR given the fact that you have not met the minimum stay requirements, but I strongly recommend that you do not attempt to do it on your own. We see too many people who think that it is simple and then face a rejection because they did not understand the subtlety of the process. To make sure that you are not making any mistakes, and to have a legal team taking care of all your matters, then please contact us to book a consultation with one of our immigration professionals. You can book an appointment by calling us at 1-855-886-8472 or online at You need to act quickly.
      Regards, Vahe

The content and comments of this blog are not legal advise and and may not be accurate or complete. If you require legal advice, contact a licensed legal practitioner directly. If you post on this blog, you assume full responsibility for disclosing your identity to the public and VisaPlace nor its affiliates are not responsible for protecting your privacy nor your identity concerning your participation in our blog and you assume any risks in participating.

Customer Reviews

I hired them for my study permit application! I had been denied twice and thanks to them the 3rd try was a success. Lisa Inspektor was my main contact. She is Very nice and polite. I strongly recommend you to go with them! The money you’re gonna spend is gonna be worth it

landry walkerin the last week

I had an excellent experience working with Visa Place, communicating with them was very easy. I initially tried to navigate my immigration issue personally, but it was much more efficient allowing everything to be handled by the experts. Thank you so much Sarah, Lauren, Natasha, and Sukhi for all of your help!

Tanyain the last week

Thanks to Alicea and Rania for their excellent service. This is the 2 nd time we are using them and they have always delivered successful results, even where other law firms has been unsuccessful. Alicea has been especially helpful and available to address all our concerns. She has an excellent work ethic. We will be using them again and always recommend them to our friends.

K Wa week ago