How to Renew Your Permanent Resident Card In Canada
Someone who is a permanent resident of Canada is obligated to keep their permanent resident card (PR Card) valid at all times. Because these Canadian permanent resident cards expire every five years, that means that you need to renew them every five years.
The procedure for renewing a permanent resident card in Canada involves creating an application package and determining whether you meet the requirements for renewing a permanent resident card. However, while it seems straightforward there are areas where you could run into trouble, and a licensed immigration lawyer can help you ensure there won’t be any problems with your application.
Procedure for renewing a Permanent Resident Card in Canada
When renewing your permanent resident card in Canada, you will:
1. Fill out immigration form IMM5444, which is also called the Application for a Permanent Resident Card. The form for initial cards, replacements and renewals is the same, so you indicate that it is for “renewal” by checking the appropriate box on the form.
2. Read through the document checklist that accompanies this form, and ensure that you have included all of the required supporting documents in your application. Do not miss anything, and ensure all the documents meet the specifications on the checklist.
3. There is a processing fee you must pay when you renew your permanent resident card, and you are required to include the receipt for this payment in your package.
4. Have a licensed and reputable immigration lawyer review your application and supporting documentation to ensure your application package has been properly put together and there is nothing missing.
5. Mail your application to the appropriate case processing centre, and await notification from Citizenship and Immigration Canada that your new card is ready.
Permanent Resident Card lawyers in Canada
The application process to renew your permanent resident card may seem straightforward, but there are issues that can arise if you have special circumstances like being stuck outside of Canada with an expired card, not having met the residency obligation or being concerned about another issue with your permanent resident status.
Do You Want to Immigrate to Canada?
If so, Contact VisaPlace today. All our cases are handled by competent and experienced immigration professionals who are affiliated with VisaPlace. These professionals consist of lawyers, licensed paralegals and consultants who work for Niren and Associates an award winning immigration firm that adheres to the highest standards of client service.
Have a Question related to your Immigration Needs?
Click here to fill out the FREE Immigration Assessment form below and get a response within 24 hours to see if you’re eligible.
The assessment form should take approximately 5-7 minutes to complete. We will get back to you within one business day to let you know if we are able to help.
The content and comments of this blog are not legal advise and and may not be accurate or complete. If you require legal advice, contact a licensed legal practitioner directly. If you post on this blog, you assume full responsibility for disclosing your identity to the public and VisaPlace nor its affiliates are not responsible for protecting your privacy nor your identity concerning your participation in our blog and you assume any risks in participating.
Visa place is the best!!! I use Yasmeen to do paperwork work for my mom to come to Canada and she was amazing. Very helpful and always reply to your email promptly. My experience was awesome everything was a success and I will recommend VISA PLACE to anyone who want quick and successful results. Thank to all the team at Visa Place but a special thank you to Yasmeen again.
Working with the team as VisaPlace and their trusted partners was an incredibly wonderful experience! The team is extremely knowledgeable, responsive and has the partnerships to get the job done in an efficient and timely manner. Will definitely call them again should I have more visa requirements, issues or questions!!
Spectacular experience. Completely smooth process, they were able to answer any of my questions any time and I had peace of mind throughout the application time, which was invaluable. I have recommended them to other friends looking for assistance with their applications, and will continue to do so. Worth every penny.