How to Renew Your Permanent Resident Card

Permanent resident cards in Canada are special cards that are given to permanent residents. These permanent resident cards, or PR cards, are valid for about five years, and they expire after this five year period. Renew Permanent Resident Card

You are responsible for making sure that your permanent resident card is always valid, so you will need to renew your permanent resident card before it expires. Generally, permanent resident card renewals can take about three months to process, so you should try to renew your permanent resident card at least six months before the expiration date.

Renewing your permanent resident card in Canada

In order to renew your permanent resident card, you will need to:

1. Fill out the appropriate application forms.

2. Have passport photos taken to include in your permanent residence card renewal application.

3. Gather the required supporting documents for your application.

4. Pay the fee for your renewal application processing, and include the receipt with your supporting documentation.

Even a renewal for a permanent residence card requires the fee, passport photos and supporting documentation.

One of the final things you should do before your apply to renew your permanent resident card is to have your application package reviewed by a licensed immigration lawyer. This is a very important step, because a mistake or omission made on your application form could result in your application being delayed or denied.

In addition, renewing your permanent resident card can be somewhat problematic if you are facing certain obstacles such as having your permanent resident card be already expired, having it expire outside of Canada, or not having met the residency requirement. If you have or fear you will be experiencing any of these difficulties, please contact a licensed immigration lawyer for assistance. We can help you!

Michael Niren

About Michael Niren

Michael is a graduate of Osgoode Hall Law School in Toronto. He is a member of the Law Society of Upper Canada, the Canadian Bar Association’s Citizenship and Immigration Section and the Associate Member of the American Bar Association. Read more

The content and comments of this blog are not legal advise and and may not be accurate or complete. If you require legal advice, contact a licensed legal practitioner directly. If you post on this blog, you assume full responsibility for disclosing your identity to the public and VisaPlace nor its affiliates are not responsible for protecting your privacy nor your identity concerning your participation in our blog and you assume any risks in participating.

Customer Reviews

After initially having a very bad experience with one of their immigration consultants and after posting a negative review on Google I was immediately contacted by the Managing Director to reschedule another consultation to try and provide me with a more positive experience. I have been impressed by their attention to customer service as a result of this and I appreciate the initiative that they have taken to turn my negative experience into a positive one. My second consultation was a great experience, I spoke with Brian about my Canadian PR application and he was able to give me great advice and was extremely helpful. He answered all my questions and explained the process of how to apply and was very patient with me which I really appreciate.

Madhav Kin the last week

Great law firm with great staff. My lawyer Rania did a great job for my Canadian work permit and my daughters study permit. You are great in your work. And my Para Legal officer Alicea, you are just amazing. They did not rest until my job was promptly and properly done. Always there to answer my calls, reply my emails promptly. She tried her best and the results were amazing. I recommend visa place if you need the best immigration job. Many thanks to Rania and Alicea.

Charity Musaa month ago

Great firm on top of their game. Worked with us til the end to ensure my parents visa was approved and guided us along the way in a professional manor. Natalie is awesome. Majority of our communications were via email, but the responses were immediate. I would greatly recommend this firm. Thank you for all your hard work and help. My family and I do really appreciate it.

Daxesh Patel2 months ago