Canadian Immigration: Expired PR Card

If you are a Canadian permanent resident, you should be holding a valid permanent resident card. As of 2002, permanent residents who land in Canada receive their permanent resident card (also called a PR card) automatically. If you landed in Canada prior to this time, you have to apply for one on your own. To apply, please contact us. We can help you prepare your application for your initial permanent resident card.

Has Your Canadian Permanent Resident Card Expired?

The first thing you need to do if your permanent resident card has expired is ensure that you make an application for a new card. Your PR card will expire every five years, and you must renew it every time.

In the best case scenario, you should apply to renew your PR card as soon as possible when you notice it is going to expire soon. The most ideal time to renew your PR card is between two to three months before the expiry date on your card.

To do this, you will need to obtain and fill out an Application for a Permanent Resident Card (form IMM5444) and include all of the supporting documentation necessary for this application, including:

Photocopies of a primary identity document, two secondary identity documents, proof of your physical presence in Canada, two photos that meet the requirements for a permanent residency card and possibly other documents depending on your individual circumstances – such as if you are a minor or did not meet the residency requirement.

You must also include the Supplementary Identification Form and the fee receipt to show that you’ve paid the fee for the application.

What is the Residency Requirement for a Canadian Permanent Resident Card?

The residency requirement is a very important part of being a permanent resident. Permanent residents must live in Canada, meaning they need to be physically present in Canada for a specific time during each five years the PR card is valid. This time frame for the residency obligation is two years of every five you are a permanent resident. You must be able to prove to the government that you have met this requirement in order to renew your card.

Are You Interested In Renewing Your PR Card?

If so, Contact VisaPlace today. All our cases are handled by competent and experienced immigration professionals who are affiliated with VisaPlace. These professionals consist of lawyers, licensed paralegals and consultants who work for Niren and Associates an award winning immigration firm that adheres to the highest standards of client service.

Ready for the next step? Book your 1 on 1 consultation now or call us at 1-888-317-5770.

Have a Question Related to Your Immigration Needs?

Click here to fill out the FREE Immigration Assessment form below and get a response within 24 hours to see if you’re eligible.

The assessment form should take approximately 5-7 minutes to complete. We will get back to you within one business day to let you know if we are able to help.

Michael Niren

About Michael Niren

Michael is a graduate of Osgoode Hall Law School in Toronto. He is a member of the Law Society of Upper Canada, the Canadian Bar Association’s Citizenship and Immigration Section and the Associate Member of the American Bar Association. Read more

  • Mira Freiwat

    Hello Sara,

    Thank you for your inquiry. There are hundreds of applicants that became PR holders and did not meet the residency obligation, much like yourself, and were able to reapply and successfully obtain a new one. But in order for me to be able to determine your eligibility, I would need more information to be able to advise you accurately on what you can do to have PR status in Canada again. Please email us at and we will set up a consultation with you to be able to advise you accordingly. MF

  • Sara Motamedi

    Dear sir/mam
    I am Iranian and got my pr card on 2005. I travelled two times to Canada and stayed totally about one year in Canada. Then I got married and applied for my husband but he didn’t approve in interview I had to appeal but never did that. I never went back to Canada.
    After a while unfortunately I lost my pr card and informed the Canadian embassy in Iran.
    I know my pr card is expired on 2010.
    I really like to go to Canada and live there.
    Can you help me in this case? Do you think it might be possible to get my pr card again?
    If it is possible could you please tell me about the fees
    Best regards
    Sara Motamedi

The content and comments of this blog are not legal advise and and may not be accurate or complete. If you require legal advice, contact a licensed legal practitioner directly. If you post on this blog, you assume full responsibility for disclosing your identity to the public and VisaPlace nor its affiliates are not responsible for protecting your privacy nor your identity concerning your participation in our blog and you assume any risks in participating.

Customer Reviews

I could not have asked for more! The VisaPlace team are extremely professional, they know their stuff. They gave me great information, prepared my work visa application and then prepared me for the submission process. I was successful. Got my visa. 5 stars! I would give them 6 if I could.

Tim Willisin the last week

This is not an exaggeration!!! I was truly impressed with the way VisaPlace consultants handled my case. The consultants- Emily, Lauren, Takunda and Lisa, took their time to explain to me in great deal how they were going to approach my case and how they would handle setbacks, if any. Their professionalism and knowledge of the law were superb. The minor setback that came up was quickly addressed by the team. The team constantly kept me updated on the progress/status of my application; they quickly responded to my questions/concerns. They had predicated my permanent residency to be processed within 6 -12, and Indeed it was processed and completed within 6 months. Based on my personal experience, Emily and Lauren's team are the best! They deserve 5 stars!!!!!!!!!!!

George Jakan'gayoa week ago

VisaPlace helped me sponsor my husband to become a Permanent Resident of Canada. They were extremely professional. Every step along the way was explained fully and expertly taken care of. The staff responded immediately to any questions and always handled our concerns fully, taking as much time as we needed to understand where we were at in the immigration process and what to expect next. I would recommend VisaPlace with no hesitation at all. I'm sure if we had tried to navigate the immigration process ourselves, it would have been much harder.

Shirley Corriveau2 weeks ago