United States Immigration Overstay

overstayed a united states visa

Someone who has obtained a visa for the United States but has stayed past the expiration date of that visa is considered to have overstayed their visa. This happens quite often, but it is a very serious matter.  What you need to know if you have overstayed a United States visa is speak with a licensed immigration lawyer as soon as it is possible for you to do so. You will have options, but the longer you wait the worse your situation can become.

What are the consequences of overstaying a United States visa?

There are several consequences to overstaying a United States visa, all of which depend on your situation and the length of the overstay.

Someone who has overstayed a visa in the United States could be banned from re-entering the United States for three years or as many as ten years depending on how long they’ve overstayed.

Someone who had overstayed a United States visa could also be prevented from applying for a Change of Status, and Extension of Stay or an Adjustment of Status.

If you overstay your visa your current visa will be voided and you will not be able to obtain a new one unless you leave the United States and return home first.

Because these consequences can be so severe, it’s important to ensure that you speak with a licensed immigration lawyer or licensed immigration attorney as soon as possible, because you could apply for a United States waiver. However, if you continue to wait your situation could get worse.

A United States waiver application is not an easy one, but with the right professional assistance on your side you can set yourself up for the best chance of success. We have helped many people with their US visa overstay issues, and we can help you too. Please contact us as soon as possible for assistance.

Michael Niren

About Michael Niren

Michael is a graduate of Osgoode Hall Law School in Toronto. He is a member of the Law Society of Upper Canada, the Canadian Bar Association’s Citizenship and Immigration Section and the Associate Member of the American Bar Association. Read more

The content and comments of this blog are not legal advise and and may not be accurate or complete. If you require legal advice, contact a licensed legal practitioner directly. If you post on this blog, you assume full responsibility for disclosing your identity to the public and VisaPlace nor its affiliates are not responsible for protecting your privacy nor your identity concerning your participation in our blog and you assume any risks in participating.

Customer Reviews

Spectacular experience. Completely smooth process, they were able to answer any of my questions any time and I had peace of mind throughout the application time, which was invaluable. I have recommended them to other friends looking for assistance with their applications, and will continue to do so. Worth every penny.

Faith Cheongin the last week

Here, I would like to say thank you so very much for your kind support on extension my visit visa. I am touched and beyond words, I am grateful and thankful for your always help and cooperation. Have a wonderful day.

Setareh Rasaeiin the last week

Great law firm with great staff. My lawyer Rania did a great job for my Canadian work permit and my daughters study permit. You are great in your work. And my Para Legal officer Alicea, you are just amazing. They did not rest until my job was promptly and properly done. Always there to answer my calls, reply my emails promptly. She tried her best and the results were amazing. I recommend visa place if you need the best immigration job. Many thanks to Rania and Alicea.

Charity Musa2 months ago